cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Need help before vulnerable person is cut off

Hi,

I administer utilities for an 87 year old housebound lady. (My mother-in-law).

She has been sent a new card which has to be 'activated' before it is valid.

Because NOW only accept cards for payment her bill has not paid since the old card expired.

I have been trying to pay the balance owing on my own card because of the difficulty getting her new card activated, but because I'm at a different address, it will not go through.

I have tried to contact someone to sort this out but can't get anyone.

I was told she would be cut off. She relies on her phone line for an emergency call system which is installed.

Can anyone help please?

frostyboy

3 REPLIES 3
Mark_Weinreb
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User Credit/debit cards are activated by using them in a chip-and-pin machine.

So, if she will give you her pin number, why not take the card and do some shopping for her?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

As far as I'm aware only the card's contactless ability is activated by making a pin transaction first.  

If I could speak to someone I could just pay the balance using my own card until we sort her card out.

Mark_Weinreb
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User True, but perhaps worth a try. In the past, some of my new cards have arrived with a sticker on them requesting that I phone the included number in order to activate the card. Of course if there was a sticker, and its been removed and thrown away...