cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Misleading renewal price. Charged £20 more than usual!

I had a contract that was billed 23.50 per month, then I received an email reminder that my contract was about to end saying it will continue at 23.50 per month if i do nothing ""Do nothing and continue with your existing membership for £23.50 a month".

However my bill for this month was £43.50, an extra £20!  I called now TV who kept saying if i scroll down to the bottom of that email it explains why.

However, gmail and other email sites clip this massive message so you dont see all of it.

Expanding the full email it mentions at the bottom of this contract it says my 20 pound discount will not be applied. so really, i will be charged 23.50 + 20. extremely misleading as the email states "Do nothing and continue with your existing membership for £23.50 a month" at the start of the email. 

Lets see what my union has to say about this 

31 REPLIES 31
Anonymous User
Not applicable

I have just had the same situation and also got charged extra this last month. However I cannot find the " my 20 pound discount will not be applied" part anywhere even after expanding the page. When I go to payment history it says that I have none but also says £0 paid on the date that the actual amount came off my account. 

Please do give me the phone number you used as I cannot find one.

Thank you.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I couldn't find the number initially. I just followed the prompts to get to the "I'm thinking of leaving" menu. This allowed me to talk to a human. Then I just asked to be forwarded to their marketing/customer assistant team. That worked fine. Also, report this to the Advertising Standards Agency (ASA). They will investigate the misleading advertisement/email/offer you got. If enough people report it then actions will be taken by the ASA. 

Michael512
Advocate

Check your broadband package, mine now says 'full fibre' - I dont have full fibre in my area (yet)?

Same extra billed, waiting answer.

redchiz1
Champion 2

@Anonymous User 

If you are paying full price with no discounts then you are free to leave NOW without penalty at any time. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@redchiz1 wrote:

@Anonymous User 

If you are paying full price with no discounts then you are free to leave NOW without penalty at any time. 

It's probably the best option given their business practices.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I have. Bad business practice. Don't want to get caught out by their misleading advertisements again. 

LoisL

I just got charged as well, I knew there's was going to be a change but I had no reminders since 4 weeks ago. I'm so angry I don't know what to do. £36 for 11mbps per month ! 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User wrote:

extremely misleading as the email states "Do nothing and continue with your existing membership for £23.50 a month"

Yes, I too was caught with this. Rather, I too was lied to in writing about this. There is no subscript or any indication that further conditions apply to the quoted part that appears immediately before the word "or" in their email. This contravenes their own marketing terms and conditions (section 2.3 IIRC) and also the Consumer Protection Regulations 2014. The nicest term you can use is "misleading", which contravenes both of these. The more accurate term is "incorrect".

I've filed a complaint, but really I'm sure I will be cancelling their service very shortly. Not only have they done the above, they also applied a 16% price increase mid-term. If this was allowed under their terms and conditions, then it was an inequitable term. Try phoning them up a couple of months into a 12 month contract to give them the option of accepting 16% less each month or terminating the contract. I'm sure they'll just continue to take the original fee from your account regardless.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Wow, what are they playing at! I too had my contacts increase from £20 a month to £23.50 mid contract. Doesn't that defeat the point of a contract? @Anonymous User who did you complain to? File a report with the Advertising Standards Agency, take screenshots of the email as evidence and send it all over with an explanation of what has happened. Time to expose this 😁