cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Misleading Cancellation Process

Hi,

I am in a state of shock and fury. By coincidence, I noticed that you have been billing my account for a movie pass I cancelled several months ago.

I tested your offer for £5.00 a month and then cancelled it withint the month, as I don’t like your selection of movies. But for some reason, you have continued to bill my account.

How could this have happened? Well trying to cancel my account, once again today, I noticed I had to click on 'cancel' several times, and sometimes I had to scroll down to see the additional cancel button as it was almost hidden. So you make it look like you clients have cancelled their pass, while they have not. I find this despicable as I thought the first time I clicked on cancel that it would have been enough, and I am sure any ombudsman in your industry would think the same.

I demand a full refund for the two extra movie passes I did not subscribe to, an apology, and a stop of your misleading requirement that forces your clients to press on cancel several times, effectively tricking people.

I am sure that there are other people are in the same situation, that are unknowingly paying for something they did not want. 

If you don't comply with my demands, I will seek out other people you have damaged and build a group to get our money back and bring your awful behaviour into the light.

You have until Tuesday afternoon to make this right.

Also, get you messaging system right. I tried to send this message directly to you, but it did not work.

Thanks

31 REPLIES 31
SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

hI @Anonymous User,

The good news is, if you officially cancelled your NOW TV subscriptions (by accessing the 'My Passes' area of your 'My Account') and followed the cancellation procedure in full, NOW TV would have sent you a confirmation email of your cancellation request(s).

Provided you still have the cancellation email, claiming back any money NOW TV have taken in error should be a straight forward procedure by contacting a NOW TV representative.

If you don't have a confirmation email, provided you have not viewed any content (which the NOW TV people will thoroughly check) you should be able to get all (or a proportion) of your subscription payments returned/refunded to you by contacting a NOW TV representative.

You can contact a NOW TV representative via the forums 'Live Chat' facility or 'Send us a message' facility by using a Windows or Mac computer, not a mobile device, as their web browsers might not sophisticated enough to display 'pop-up' windows (ie: windows within windows). Also, Mac or IOS device users might require JavaScript support enabled in their Safari internet browsers. Here's what you need to do: -

• Click on the following: How To Contact NOW TV link.
  • To 'Send us a message', click on the light blue 'Send Message' button.
  • To start a 'Live Chat', click on the dark blue 'Chat online' button.
  • A new 'What can we help you with today?' pop-up window should open up.
  • Click on the 'Request Chat' button.

Cheers

And just-so 'all' NOW TV customers know. Currently...

• All free-trials, run for their full duration, even if they are officially cancelled after the first day.
  • All monthly NOW TV subscription(s) run for their full duration, even if they are officially cancelled on the first day of their last monthly period.
  • All monthly NOW TV subscription(s) 'roll over' automatically if they're not officially cancelled prior to any 'free trial', 'retention offer', 'voucher pass' or 'monthly' subscription expiring!
  • If your preference is to use 'voucher code passes', you can submit your voucher pass whenever the green 'Apply a voucher' link becomes visible (via the 'My passes' area of your account). The new pass will commence only after your existing pass expires. So you don't lose-out on any days.
  • 'Free trial' subscribers are notified by email that they will be charged unless they cancel their subscription(s) prior to their 'free trial' ending. So keep a look-out, including your spam/junk mail!
  • While the NOW TV accounts system is attempting to collect payment(s) the coloured 'Canel' button will not be accessible.
  • While the NOW TV accounts system is attempting to collect payment(s) the 'Apply voucher' button will not be accessible.
  • New NOW TV voucher code passes can be added within the last month of your current NOW TV services expiry date. The new pass will commence only after your existing pass expires. So you don't lose-out on any days.
  • Setting up a 'Payment PIN' code on your NOW TV account is advised. As it will be prevent others from purchasing additional NOW TV services without your consent!
  • Cancelling your NOW TV subscription(s) has to be done officially and correctly via your NOW TV account. And has to be done for each of the NOW TV services you have subscribed to. After which you will receive a confirmation email.
  • Asking your bank or credit/debit card company to stop making payments or replacing your debit/credit card does not provide official confirmation to NOW TV that you no longer require their services. Neither does not watching/accessing the NOW TV service!
  • Ultimately, it is the responsibility of the NOW TV subscriber to manage their NOW TV account (or accounts if you have them) and subscriptions!
Anonymous User
Not applicable

here here, I have just come across this disgusting sleight of hand.

You press the cutely worded 'i still want to cancel'  button for the second time and the movie thumbnails push hide the actual cancel button way off the screen.

PS I'm a working on a 25"  Monitor.

This is the third time I have tired to cancel.

The second screen is purposfully designed to look like a confimation.

However you dress it up this process is deceptive.

Change it.

@Anonymous User wrote:

Hi,

I am in a state of shock and fury. By coincidence, I noticed that you have been billing my account for a movie pass I cancelled several months ago.

I tested your offer for £5.00 a month and then cancelled it withint the month, as I don’t like your selection of movies. But for some reason, you have continued to bill my account.

How could this have happened? Well trying to cancel my account, once again today, I noticed I had to click on 'cancel' several times, and sometimes I had to scroll down to see the additional cancel button as it was almost hidden. So you make it look like you clients have cancelled their pass, while they have not. I find this despicable as I thought the first time I clicked on cancel that it would have been enough, and I am sure any ombudsman in your industry would think the same.

I demand a full refund for the two extra movie passes I did not subscribe to, an apology, and a stop of your misleading requirement that forces your clients to press on cancel several times, effectively tricking people.

I am sure that there are other people are in the same situation, that are unknowingly paying for something they did not want. 

If you don't comply with my demands, I will seek out other people you have damaged and build a group to get our money back and bring your awful behaviour into the light.

You have until Tuesday afternoon to make this right.

Also, get you messaging system right. I tried to send this message directly to you, but it did not work.

Thanks

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Yep. I have been stitched up too. However, to be fair, they are refunding. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I too believe months ago that I had cancelled this service. This disgusting misdirection and lack of clarity has wasted money that could have gone to more desirable places. Safe to say I'll never subscribe to this service again and I'll use other means to watch programs *wink wink* I think you know what I mean. Screw paying this company another penny.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

I have also had this problem - I thought I had cancelled a pass when I hadn't.  And for another pass, I got the week's trial which expires today (8 April) - and thought I could cancel it today.  But it turns out my trial has already ended and I've been charged for a month.  And I'm pretty sure that when I checked earlier today, my trial was still active, saying it expires on the 8th. It's very misleading. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I have also just realised this issue. I kept being charged for NowTV movies. I thought it was my son accidentally re activating movies or something. Turns out I never canceled my movie pass. Only when looking in to this further realising that I never actually canceled because of a deceptive cancelling process where the cancelling button is off screen and the page gives the impression that the pass has been canceled. I only released as I tried to cancel several times. I believe the only person really using Sky movies in my house since January has been my son when flicking though the menus, so I have wasted around £50 without realising it.

Here is the offending page

The cancel buttons are below the viewable area on web browsers. This practice is deceptive and mis-leading to customers and a great way to lose custom. If someone wants to cancel a pass make it easy to do so as it makes it easy to want to come back. Sometimes I want the movie pass and sometimes I don't.  All this has done is make me never want a movies pass again.

Simple fix is to move the button to the viewable area. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Sorry to hear this, I have had the exact same issue, which lead to me being charged for 5 months for a service that I never used!

After realising four months in, I got in contact on the live chat, and they offered a partial refund, and said they had cancelled the subscription themselves, and then a month later I realised they still had not cancelled it!

However I was able to obtain a full refund. This came after a lot of persistence, and involving a manager in their live chat system - at first two live chat team members insisted that the best they could offer was three months reimbursement.

My advice would be to not take no for an answer in this scenario, since the way they go about the cancellation process is unacceptable.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I have had the excact same experience. It was only when I asked by Now/Sky to update my credit card details that I realised that I have been charged for over  year for the entertianment package. I honestly believed I had cancelled it online only to find out that I have been charged over £100 for a service I have not used. I re-cancelled it last night and once again I nearly didnt complete the the process. If Sky check my usgae they will see that I have not used the service, they will also see that I attempted to cancel the service. Despite their marketing prowess at determining users activity and using all their data analysis to upsell their service they don't try to understand why somebopdy is paying for something they don't use. I susepct Sky also know that people fail to cancel but let people merrily go along their way thinking the have cancelled. Markeeters are very quick to send you an email when you abandon a basket, why don't they check whay you didn't complete your cancellation? The reason is they want your money more than your appreciation of a good servive.

However, Sky have increased their offer of 2 months subscription back to 4 monhts but what I really want is a change of service that notifies people that they have not fully cancelled the service so they are not left in the same predicament as me. It was my bad not checking my online credit card statment until I got the notification to update my credit card, but I had hoped they would check my usage, see it was an honest mistake and refund me my subscription for the period I have not used the service. The reason I cut the service was to save money and I have often thought of re-subscribing and nearly did when I saw a half price annual subscription and that the first series of Handsmaid Tale we missed on TV (is now on Now) that my wife wanted to see, but she said we couldn't afford it. Instead I have blown over £100 on nothing.

All I want is a proper appreicationg of a predicament I suspect a lot of people have fallen in to.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I too keep getting charged for movies even though I have cancelled it and had the emails.I cancelled it about 3 times and each time I am still having payments taken.It was only when I looked at my bank today I noticed.I cant even contact now tv for a live chat