cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
micropanther7
Mentor

Late payment - account has funds

I'm typing this on behalf of my 71 year old Dad, who I set up the account for, he received an email (email address was iffy, but the phone number was legit) , email address looks odd ([email removed]), he doesn't have any sky subscriptions via Now, and he gets to watch Sky sports at mine for the price of £0 lol.

is this a scam?  If not, we can't understand why payment wasn't taken, he has the funds and he pays by direct debit, with no problems until now.

He's just been diagnosed with early stage parkinsons, so he's going through enough stress at the moment, will be suggesting all future emails be sent to my email address instead from now on I think 🙂  He got me to check his account, and it says it's been paid, we're off to the bank to check to see if it's gone out.  is this a common error with payments for Now?  I was thinking of switching to them, changed my mind now.

6 REPLIES 6
gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@micropanther7 

Best to jump onto live chat and speak with staff who will be able to confirm 100% what the story is. Make sure to click "chat online" within the green box, avoid "get help quicker" as this is a bot.

https://help.nowtv.com/article/how-to-submit-a-complaint

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
micropanther7
Mentor

Well that was about as much use as a chocolate teapot 🙂  Not you Gav, the customer service rep I spoke to, he has to ring them himself since we forgot to set me up as being a representative on his behalf, thank you for your help anyways.  The number he tried to ring that was in the email just kept sending him in circles, and he cannot use the web, so if you could recommend a different number than the one suggested, it would be much appreciated.

They kept saying that he doesn't have an account with them, and the info he provided doesn't match but it does, yet he clearly has a tv AND a broadband package under the My Account page, it's been a constant pain dealing with customer services since he's joined, he's thinking of changing providers now.

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@micropanther7 

haha not to worry!

Is his payment relating to broadband or TV or both? 

Does he have broadband with NOW? If not then it has to be either live chat or email I am afraid. 

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
micropanther7
Mentor

He reminded me that he pays every three months, which I don't think is right... I will need to go over to his place and go over his bank statements, and account payments, something isn't right here.  We will definitely be switching when the contract is up, never had such a bad experience before, and it's bad when there's no company reps posting in the thread either trying to help.  But thank you for at least trying, he's been told he has broadband and phone with bt, but tv with now. 

But the payments are taken by Now, and I've just noticed that he's been charged between 80 and 100 pound per month for call charges.  He rarely uses the phone, so goodness knows why these charges are so high.  I'm going to be taking this to Age UK, and Citizens Advice, he's paying around £30 for tv, but extortinate call charges (wow they really are crooks!).

RoyB
Legend

@micropanther7 

In a sense, nearly everybody has their broadband and phone via BT, and certainly everybody who has it from Now, as these services are physically provided via BT Openreach.

But this doesn’t affect billing from Now, and mention of it usually arises only in the context of faults with the service.

But you do urgently need to clarify for your dad just what and when he is paying to whom for what.

There do seem to be some scam “you haven’t paid” emails doing the rounds at the moment, where the hook is that they give you a link to somewhere you can pay - something that looks like, but isn’t, a genuine web link to the supplier, but is actually designed to steal card, bank and identity details. Is the email one of those?

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
micropanther7
Mentor

Apologies for such a late reply, no the email does seem legit, there was no link provided.  I also checked the headers, so... still not sure what's going on, we will get to the bottom of it.