cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Incorrect billing

NowTV have been incorrectly billing me for the past 8 months.

I pay for an entertainment pass (£8.99), but recently discovered that they have been taking £8.99, £3.99 and £9.99 out of my account in three separate billing profiles for the past 8 months.

I somehow managed to get in contact with NowTV (which, to me, seems as difficult as trying to get a hold of the Pope), in which they told me someone would be in touch to discuss the matter further. This was two weeks ago and I still haven't heard anything...

Has anyone else had a similar issue? They owe me around £120 so it's not a case of a few pennies here and there.

5 REPLIES 5
RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

The Community is full of posts from people bewildered by being charged by NowTV for this and that.

Mostly because free trials have a habit of turning into chargeable subscriptions if you don’t cancel them sharpish, cancelling is not that easy to do, and so on.

I’m going to guess that you bought a Stick with a multiple passes offer? These are an accident waiting to happen, as all the passes start at once - as free trials, but if you don’t realise they have done that, then you don’t realise the charging starts either.

Is this what happened to you? You focussed on the pass you were interested in, and didn’t even realise the others were running...

Netflix, I notice, send an email just before a free trial goes chargeable, in good time for those who don’t want to continue to cancel; perhaps you could ask NowTV to do the same.

I would also strongly suggest, as good husbandry overall and not just with NowTV - check your bank and credit card statements every month, and query anything you don’t recognise - or do recognise but don’t think you should be paying.

We once queried a mystery 87p with Nationwide, which turned out to be fraudulent. Apparently the fraudsters try these tiny amounts initially, to see who is awake, and who isn’t. If you aren’t awake, they come back for a worthwhile (to them) amount.....

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@RoyB Nope - just signed up to the entertainment pass and nothing else.

When I initially heard back from Now TV they replied saying they could see the only activity I have had in terms of signing for passes is the entertainment pass with nothing else prior or after.

As soon as I sent the evidence of the incorrect billing statements it's been radio silence ever since.

The whole experience of attempting to deal with them has been outrageous, it's quite difficult to believe they're able to get away with this and stay in business as I'm aware this is a wide spread concern amongst many subscribers.

Appreciate your response - if you know anyone else this has happened to and has had the matter resolved and can pass on any information it would be greatly appreciated.

RoyB
Legend

Hi @Anonymous User 

Alas not - it’s certainly a widespread concern that many people are claiming ‘payment wasn’t authorised’, but it almost always was, usually because the poster was unaware of how NowTv’s published rules were operating in their case, but sometimes because they had been careless with their account security, and this had allowed someone else to buy a pass on their account.

It’s almost inevitable though, that in the vast volume of transactions involved, NowTV would not have made an administrative error somewhere and had people paying for passes they neither invoked nor had someone else invoke, on their accounts, but yours is the first documented case of that I have come across.

But you do now need to get back on Live Chat, both to get your refund and to get an explanation of how it happened, and what NowTV are doing to prevent a recurrence, for you or anybody else.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@RoyBThe really strange thing about it is that the payments are not consistent either. There will be a £3.99 and £7.99 payment one month, then a £7.99 and £9.99 payment another month, and this goes on and on month by month. Plus, there is only one email address listed with the account and I am the only person who has access to it.

I have had to resort to a twitter message as last ditch attempt to speak to someone who actually works for NOW TV, but I have no qualms with taking legal action on this for the immorality of the whole situation.

Hopefully it can be resolved before further measures have to be taken.

RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

You talked about ‘three separate billing profiles’ - what did you mean by that? But just the one account?

£3.99 is Kids or Hayu, £7.99 is Entertainment (now £8.99) and £9.99 is Movies (now £11.99).

For these to come and go implies some cancellation and resubscribing going on. Sounds like your account may be tangled up with someone else’s, rather than just that you have uncancelled passes running by inertia.

Can you see all these payments under My Account/Bills & payments?