cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

In program adverts, when did they start?

In program adverts?! When did they start? I thought I paid a subscription to avoid adverts? Really bad app experience on ROKU, pre program ads over and over, and now this!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User 

It’s been within the last month or so. More so with the changes to Boost.

https://help.nowtv.com/article/we-are-making-some-changes

We're gradually rolling out ads in on-demand shows and movies (they're already on live channels). If you haven't seen any yet, you're likely to come across them from July, unless you've already got Boost. 

Boost allows you to stream ad-free (excluding live channels and trailers promoting NOW content)

https://help.nowtv.com/article/can-i-watch-without-ads

https://help.nowtv.com/article/what-is-now-boost

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help

View solution in original post

43 REPLIES 43
Anonymous User
Not applicable

So this a con.

I pay monthly subscriptions &, until recently, there have been no ads.

Then Boost is introduced with additional subscription costs & now there are ads on the basic subscription and, in order not to get adverts, we have to pay more.

Why?

Not sure it's worth it.

Doesn't Sky make enough money?

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User 

Sky is owned by Comcast which is a US company, all that is being done is NOW becoming similar to Peacock which is also owned by Comcast and they had adverts unless you fork out another $5. 

Comcast is simply pushing their business model onto the Sky markets it owns. So don't be shocked when this happens in Italy, Germany and Austria.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks for the reply - just 'cos that's what always happens doesn't make it ok. 

Have been thinking that Now isn't as good as it used to be & now I know it isn't.

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User 

It doesn't help when Sky are losing so much content due to channels closing and being removed. Take a look at FOX and Discovery. 

Then it would seem that Sky aren't using the NBC (Comcast) TV show library to fill some of the void up. 

Likes of Chicago Fire/PD/Med, Law & Order and Law & Order SVU. These are boxsets that would be a welcome (in my opinion) addition to the losing content thanks to FOX and Discovery leaving NOW/Sky. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

So, the price has gone up, you can't get cheap vouchers anymore, you can't watch on as many devices, you have to pay extra if you don't want adverts and that price is going up too. I have to think about the monthly renewal now and other streaming services. Perhaps taking a break from NowTV is the thing to do.

starman73
Elite

price has gone up, you can't get cheap vouchers anymore, you can't watch on as many devices, you have to pay extra if you don't want adverts and that price is going up too.

They still have eMail offers.  Currently paying £1/month for Entertainment for 2 months.  Will suffer the odd advert, though I have yet to see one.

madamtoffee
Scholar

Well time to cancel, if I wanted adverts I would watch live tv and this is not a live tv service, imagine if Netflix and Amazon started doing this !!!

So the price increases and yet you are getting money from the adverts, glad to see you don't care about your customers !

starman73
Elite

….glad to see you don't care about your customers !

Now are a lot better than Virgin. On the whole, I have found Now to have pretty good customer service.  Not as good as Amazon, but pretty good.

Ultimately Now like all companies are trying to make a profit.  They seem to think adverts will raise revenue by the advertisers paying and members getting Boost offsetting the loss of members cancelling and getting Netflix, Disney +, BritBox and/or Prime.

For the hardened Sports subscriber like me this will mean they get an extra £2/month, but for the more casual subscriber who may get movies or entertainment I suspect they will be looking elsewhere unless they get a decent email/retention offer.

Will be interesting to see how things shake out in the next fortnight.  I think Now are making a massive mistake putting ads on before shows and reducing subscribers to a single stream, when the competition offer so much more for significantly less.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

As this forum bleeped out the word:

Frankfurt, Harry G. On ######. PRINCETON; OXFORD: Princeton University Press, 2005. Accessed July 13, 2021. doi:10.2307/j.ctt7t4wr.