cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

In program adverts, when did they start?

In program adverts?! When did they start? I thought I paid a subscription to avoid adverts? Really bad app experience on ROKU, pre program ads over and over, and now this!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User 

It’s been within the last month or so. More so with the changes to Boost.

https://help.nowtv.com/article/we-are-making-some-changes

We're gradually rolling out ads in on-demand shows and movies (they're already on live channels). If you haven't seen any yet, you're likely to come across them from July, unless you've already got Boost. 

Boost allows you to stream ad-free (excluding live channels and trailers promoting NOW content)

https://help.nowtv.com/article/can-i-watch-without-ads

https://help.nowtv.com/article/what-is-now-boost

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help

View solution in original post

43 REPLIES 43
Lindzi
Elite 2

@RoyB 

I think NOW staff must have look on here...they may not engage anymore but a sneaky look I reckon. 

I only had NOW for sky atlantic, and convenience on a second tv, as I have full Virgin tv package so at least I still have Discovery channel too. 

Maybe the advertising revenue will make up for subscribers lost but my only way to protest is a little rant on here and to cancel.  Interesting that one of the options on cancellation is 'adverts' so they know it's a p*** take

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Lindzi 

If you don't want any "adverts" during programming, then take out Boost. Which I am paying £1 a month for the time being. 

You might not like it, but its exactly how the streaming world in the US is set up. And Comcast who owns Sky/NOW are a US company, all they are wanting to do is have consistency and their business model across the terrioirties it owns. 

They won't care too much about a few customers complaining about adverts. If you have Boost, which I have from the start then you are uneffected by such adverts. 

Lindzi
Elite 2

@gavs82008 

I know that I could have boost, but if I do that then I'm participating and endorsing this business model. The standard cost of NOW is already pretty high (although I was on a deal) so I'm just deciding not to give them anymore of my money. 

I will only lose access to sky Atlantic so it's no big deal for me to get rid of it. Maybe if NOW is your main tv provider then it may be easier to swallow, and pay extra for boost, but I'm ok without it 

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Lindzi 

Like I said I am paying £1 for boost, where I’m paying £8 for both entertainment and cinema memberships. So only £9 in total, I can absolutely deal with that. 

Also have Disney+, Amazon Prime, Netflix (which I’m paying £5 a month), Discovery+, also have US services Peacock (which will be cancelled when it comes here) and Paramount+

starman73
Elite

I am paying £1 for boost, where I’m paying £8 for both entertainment and cinema memberships. So only £9 in total

@gavs82008 Similar for me, £3 Cinema, £4 Entertainment and £1 Boost plus a month into a 3 months sports voucher I got with a stick some time ago for £50.  However would be reluctant to pay £5 for boost.  Fortunately I got it on last day it was £3 and then got retention offer of £1/month.

Netflix (which I’m paying £5 a month)

How did you get that? Best I can get is £6 basic, so I don’t bother. Especially as I have Prime and Disney + on annual passes. Only so much TV a family of 5 can watch.

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@starman73 

For getting Netflix, I cancelled my UK subscription and applied my VPN for “Turkey”. Retaining the 4K package. 

If it wasn’t for that price I would have cancelled it a while ago now. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Lindzi 

Amazed you hadn't come across these adverts before now, but I suppose if you haven't used Now much in recent times you've maybe avoided that joy for a bit longer????  There would have been no escape if TWD had still been in it's old place, but you can now watch that ad free on Disney+!!!!!!

I do still watch a fair amount via Now Entertainment so have been living with these ads for a while on my Now Stick (I won't be doing boost to avoid them)....I'm just glad the ad slots are not mega long (like All4), some slots round about a minute some at 30/40secs, even watched something where the ad slots were 10s/5s/5s/5s.  When the ads come on I turn off my volume and close my eyes for a brief power nap...Now might be able to stop me fast forwarding or skipping ads, but they can't control my volume or my eyelids, once they control those things then I might consider Boost.

Lindzi
Elite 2

@Anonymous User 

I mute the pre programme ads too 😂

Maybe they have just got around to the Amazon firestick for the in show ads. I agree All4 is the worst but at least we are not paying a subscription for it.

Before we know it NOW ad breaks will get longer and longer and then subscribers will think it's worth paying an extra £5pm for boost.  I understand that some people get offered a deal on boost costs, but how long will those offers continue for? 

Maybe I'm just allergic to ads as even on virgin tv I start watching shows 20mins after they start just so I can forward the adverts 🙂

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Lindzi 

I think the ads on Now were coming in stages across all the various devices/apps, so as you are saying maybe the Now App on Firstick was one of the last to get that pleasure?????

Yep, if Now ad breaks start hitting three or four minutes each that will really be taking the proverbial and maybe then I would consider a Boost offer???  But they really shouldn't ever be that long....a free service like All4 can have long advert slots (as that's their only real moneymaker), but these folk milking it with subscription costs and advert income should really keep the adverts to a minimum.

I do exactly the same with many shows, record it and start watching after about 15/20 minutes....fast forward the ads and finish at the same time, Magic!!!!!!!!

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

If only they brought back the PG Tips chimps ads then the ads would be more entertaining than the programmes and we'd all be happy again … 🤔☺️🐵🐒

https://youtu.be/m3F0nnPHyWo

PG Tips Mr Shifter another funny add from the 80s