cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Illegal Cancellation Process?

I've been waiting on the phone for 40 minutes trying to cancel my services. At what point are you breaking the law by making it so difficult to cancel?

6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous User
Not applicable

For anyone curious about the legality of the obstructive nature of Now TV's cancellation fiasco, I'll be contacting the ombudsman (CISAS) and will keep you updated.

RoyB
Legend

Hi @Anonymous User 

It would be very useful to others similarly affected to know which section of which law you think applies here.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

While I'm waiting for Now TV to cancel my awful broadband and passes, I'm reading The Consumer Rights Act 2015. I guess I'll have plenty of time to study it...

RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

Yup. But the clever defence lawyer is going to ask you two questions:-

(i) Given that NowTV provides a mechanism to Cancel your Passes for yourself, why didn’t you use it?

and

(ii) Which specific Section or Sections of the CRA 2015 do you think have been breached?

I’ll agree that NowTV’s Pass Cancelling process is about as user-friendly as a cornered rat, and badly needs an overhaul to make it no more complicated than booking a flight with SleazyAir, but I don’t think it actually breaks any laws, does it?

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Anonymous User
Not applicable
I’m trying to cancel broadband and they insist on you calling. There is no option to cancel online and then you have to wait in line for over 40 minutes. As soon as you press to cancel, you’re placed in a queue which is significantly longer than the queue for other services. That’s obstructive and I’d be very surprised if consumers have no rights in this regard. Do you work for Now TV?
RoyB
Legend

No, I don’t work for NowTV.

My impression of NowTV Broadband is that they are swamped, both with people joining and with people leaving.

Which is what happens when you provide a unique ‘no contract lock-in’ service.

And also when people find they have been given a router with only two Ethernet ports and reportedly poor WiFi performance, and NowTV decline to help anyone trying to use their own replacement router, by withholding what the spec of such a router, and the settings, ought to be.

Even BT don’t do that; they helped me set up my Netgear Nighthawk when their own Home Hub proved unreliable, only reserving the right to ask me to put the Hub back on as part of any problem diagnosis. And even then, only if they suspected the non-standard router was involved - the couple of times I have had to call them, the issue was resolved at their end without the router ever being mentioned.

I used to be with Sky Broadband, but the router then was a very decent 4-port job; I’m told the current NowTV router is the same as the current Sky one. But I haven’t looked to see if the Sky forums are full of grief about this router or not....