cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

IDEA: Remove 1 device change per month restriction

Modern families have multiple devices and want to be able to consume content wherever and on whatever device they have. When you include devices like NowTV, Roku, AppleTV, Chromecast, games consoles, smart phones and tablets, it's very easy for a typical family to have 10+ devices all capable of watching NowTV content.

I fully understand the need to limit the number of active devices and also the need to limit the number of devices that can be used simultaneously. However the restiction to change 1 device per month is an inconvenience too far. I subscribe to multiple streaming services and none have this restriction.

Let me describe just how easy it is to get unstuck.

Both my NowTV box and Roku box are registered. As a family this is the main way we watch NowTV content. My two kids also have NowTV on their tablet devices so they can watch a different programme in their bedroom. That's all 4 slots taken for registered devices (you can spot an immediate problem if we had 3 kids!).

I now go away on business and want to catch up on missed programmes while away. But I can't register my tablet because all 4 device slots are filled. No problem, the kids are in bed so I remove one of the tablets so that I can add my own. Great... I enjoy my movie and all is good... that is until my daughter tries to watch her programme the next day and cannot! Again, no problem... I just remove my tablet and add hers... except now there is a warning message that I have exceed the number of allowed changes and have to wait until the first day of the next month before I can make any more changes!

In fact I can delete all 4 registered devices, but not be able to add a new one!

SERIOUSLY??

The support team will reset the count, but not without the obligatory, "We'll make an exception for you just this once"... like they are doing you, a paying customer, a huge favour!

Most services like Netflix have no device registration restriction... just a restriction on the number of simultaneous viewers. Some do have a limit on device registration, but when the limit is reached and a new device is added they simply automatically deregister the device that has not been used for the longest time. But no-one is as draconian as NowTV with their one change/month limit.

Hopefully NowTV will recognise that this limitation, instead of being an attempt to stop the sharing of accounts, is seriously inconveniencing genuine customers and adding an unnecessary burden to their support team. There are hundreds of related messages in the forum on this topic. Hopefully sense will prevail.

Thank you.

23 REPLIES 23
Anonymous User
Not applicable
@Anonymous User does have a different problem... but as he has removed every device he now has the same problem and can only add 1 device back each month (unless he contacts Support and they are gracious enough to make an exception and reset his device count... just this once).
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Sorry, you have exceeded your permitted number of simultaneous streams how can I fix this,
Anonymous User
Not applicable

I would say what is a month? My next 'monthly payment' date? a month from the date I last added a device or made a slot free or the start of the Callander month. Why can't I just be told when I can add another device, simply by giving me the actual date rather than making us play guessing games
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User it's a calendar month. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable
Thank you for the response but that still doesn't clear it up for me. 'It's a Callander month' still leaves me in the dark. It's not explained enough. I could say I have my hair cut every Callander month, but do I get my hair cut on the 10th every Callander month, on the 1st of the month or every 28 days - if it's every 28 days, when does the 28 days start? Is it from when I last made a change to registered devices? I hope I'm not coming accross as being stupid but I'm just trying to understand this Callander month thing. Thank you
Anonymous User
Not applicable

A calendar month is the days you see on your calendar when looking at it. So right now if you've made a change already you need to wait until the 1st June to make another.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Completely agree. I have more than 4 devices of my own that I might want to use to watch Now TV - it's very annoying to be limited in this way. I also have Netflix and Amazon Prime and neither of those have this issue. How are they able to negotiate better rights deals than Sky?

@Anonymous User wrote:

Modern families have multiple devices and want to be able to consume content wherever and on whatever device they have. When you include devices like NowTV, Roku, AppleTV, Chromecast, games consoles, smart phones and tablets, it's very easy for a typical family to have 10+ devices all capable of watching NowTV content.

I fully understand the need to limit the number of active devices and also the need to limit the number of devices that can be used simultaneously. However the restiction to change 1 device per month is an inconvenience too far. I subscribe to multiple streaming services and none have this restriction.

Let me describe just how easy it is to get unstuck.

Both my NowTV box and Roku box are registered. As a family this is the main way we watch NowTV content. My two kids also have NowTV on their tablet devices so they can watch a different programme in their bedroom. That's all 4 slots taken for registered devices (you can spot an immediate problem if we had 3 kids!).

I now go away on business and want to catch up on missed programmes while away. But I can't register my tablet because all 4 device slots are filled. No problem, the kids are in bed so I remove one of the tablets so that I can add my own. Great... I enjoy my movie and all is good... that is until my daughter tries to watch her programme the next day and cannot! Again, no problem... I just remove my tablet and add hers... except now there is a warning message that I have exceed the number of allowed changes and have to wait until the first day of the next month before I can make any more changes!

In fact I can delete all 4 registered devices, but not be able to add a new one!

SERIOUSLY??

The support team will reset the count, but not without the obligatory, "We'll make an exception for you just this once"... like they are doing you, a paying customer, a huge favour!

Most services like Netflix have no device registration restriction... just a restriction on the number of simultaneous viewers. Some do have a limit on device registration, but when the limit is reached and a new device is added they simply automatically deregister the device that has not been used for the longest time. But no-one is as draconian as NowTV with their one change/month limit.

Hopefully NowTV will recognise that this limitation, instead of being an attempt to stop the sharing of accounts, is seriously inconveniencing genuine customers and adding an unnecessary burden to their support team. There are hundreds of related messages in the forum on this topic. Hopefully sense will prevail.

Thank you.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I'm on a 3 month trial offer and to be honest, with the current 4 device limit I am not inclined to continue my subscription.

I don't have this problem with Netflix or Amazon Instant Video!

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Having the same problem, wanted to watch some movie on my laptop, oh wait no I can't watch because I have made changes to 4 precious device slots of all mighty now-tv (it really should be -> not-now-tv). My subscriptions will expire on 3rd of July and thank God for that. Also additionally you should advertise - One device change per month, do you want extra? Pay us! NOW! Give us your MONEY!

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I also have just fallen foul off this... I had not used my account in some months and no longer had the devices that were previously registered to the account so added my smart TV and removed devices I no longer had then went to add my phone so I could watch away from the home (whilst away) only to find out I cannot do so. I don't understand the reasoning behind this, very frustrating indeed as I am the customer after all and would like to view on any of my devices that I see fit.