Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ukbobboy
Champion 2

Re: I'm being ripped off

@ClockEnd @Anonymous User

Hi CE (and Raev)

You said, "The best way to prevent CPAs is a prepaid card like Pockit.", I've never heard of "Pockit" but I do agree it seems like another line of defence when protecting your money.

Both you guys obviously know, there are rogue organisations out there that will do anything to get their hands on your payment details and then milk you for as long as they can, the only real protection you have is constant vigilance, i.e. monitoring your account on a regular basis. 

Anything else is just inviting disaster.

UK Bob

0 Thanks
Bill7
Advocate

I'm assuming by the asinine level of your response that you work for this crooked outfit. The amount that has been taken IS NOT THE POINT, the point is that now it has been noted it should be investigated and PAID BACK. Whether you think it's my fault that someone has ripped me off or not is not the point, putting it right certainly is. Got it now, or would you like me to draw little pictures for you?

0 Thanks
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Bill7

None of us here work for NowTV, we are customers. This is a community forum and as you chose to post here then you should expect replies from the community. Sorry if you did not like those replies. However i will cease here as from your tone i can see it is not worth continuing any longer.

@ukbobboywhat was it i said about banging my head 😛

0 Thanks
ukbobboy
Champion 2

@Anonymous User

Hi again Raev

Yeah, I got it and I'll stop here as well.

UK Bob

0 Thanks
Bill7
Advocate

Correct, I should expect replies, I wasn't expecting to be blamed for what is clearly a Now TV error however. Off you go and bang that head, just make it pretty hard and use something heavy. 

0 Thanks
ClockEnd
Expert 2

@Bill7 wrote:

I am responsible for my account, I am not responsible for people taking unauthorised money from it. 

@Bill7 Actually you are. 

A continuous payment authority or recurring payment is where you give a company permission to regularly take cash from your debit or credit card – whenever it feels it is owed money.

By providing your credit card you are effectively letting Now TV take what they believe thay are owed.

The good news is you can dispute this with your bank.  The bad news is that you may find it difficult to convince them that you are due a refund as you left this for over two years before bringing it to their attention.  60 days after a statement is the normal limit.

Best thing to do is bring up the dispute with the bank and see what they say or do and then go to the Financial Ombudsman if they don't satisfactorily deal with it. 

Read the following advice  http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/banking/recurring-payments

0 Thanks
Bill7
Advocate

That would be the case had I given my permission but as I haven't then they are at fault. I have given them permission to take 6.99 for a one off charge for 24 hours access to Sky Sports, a specific charge for a specific 24 hour period, not a recurring charge. It is clearly NowTV's error and they will remedy it or they will find themselves in court. 

0 Thanks
ClockEnd
Expert 2

@ukbobboy wrote:

You said, "The best way to prevent CPAs is a prepaid card like Pockit.", I've never heard of "Pockit" but I do agree it seems like another line of defence when protecting your money.

@ukbobboy  Now TV only insist the credit card is unexpired when you open the account.  It is mainly used to verify you are over 18.  That people use it to pay for the services is a bonus for Now TV.   So if you use the credit card in your wallet with the earliest expiry date, it will quickly expire and then they can't take any money off you. 

If you haven't used Now TV much then the billing and cancellation process is a bit opaque, but the best advice I can give is 

1. Use a credit/debit card near expiry or a prepaid card with less than a £1 on it
  2. Take out all the trials on day one and cancel them immediately 
  3. Only apply vouchers to your account
  4. Set up a payment PIN, ideally one no one else in your family can guess

Won't stop your dad activating your sports pass to watch a meaningless Manchester derby when you head off to the football yourself, but should prevent your kids getting kids passes galore. Smiley Indifferent

0 Thanks
ClockEnd
Expert 2

Bill7 wrote:

That would be the case had I given my permission but as I haven't then they are at fault. I have given them permission to take 6.99 for a one off charge for 24 hours access to Sky Sports, a specific charge for a specific 24 hour period, not a recurring charge. It is clearly NowTV's error and they will remedy it or they will find themselves in court. 

@Bill7 You will have to raise a payment dispute with your bank.  The problem with "permission" is  that it is just a courtesy.  It may have been done by someone you permitted to access the service, so you have effectively given permission.  Much like I let my family use the phone and see this oft abused statement...
You must be 16 or over and please ask the bill payer's permission   
The work please is important.  Please ask them, but if you don't, well no skin off our noses.
So the best thing to do is goto My Account -> Payment Details and look at the order history tab and find out when this was first ordered.  Maybe it help identify who ordered it.
As for court, well for about £300 you could take that route and take your chances.  I suspect that they will find against you.  Last time I went near a court it cost me £1000s and I was in the right.  I don't think Now TV would be worried.  Go to your bank first.  Generally they will give you a refund if you are a good customer.  And then put it all behind you.

0 Thanks
Highlighted
ClockEnd
Expert 2

@Bill7 wrote:

I am responsible for my account, I am not responsible for people taking unauthorised money from it. Next time someone punches you in the face don't forget to blame yourself for getting your head in the way. Fool. 

I wouldn't leave my face there for over two years, so I can't be that much of a fool.