cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bill7
Occasional Poster

I'm being ripped off

I have just discovered that Now TV have been charging me 9.99 a month every month since September 2014 for a movie package I didn't want and have never used. I have only ever used the day pass for the odd sports event. Not only do they refuse to investigate how this was activated, by who and when but they refuse to refund the money!! I have had to start legal proceedings against them. My advice is don't, ever, give this lot your card details or if you do keep a very close eye on your bank account because they will take money, unauthorised and then refuse to pay it back.

0 Thanks
39 Replies
ClockEnd
Advocate 1

Re: I'm being ripped off

Bill7 wrote:

I have just discovered that Now TV have been charging me 9.99 a month every month since September 2014 for a movie package I didn't want and have never used. I have only ever used the day pass for the odd sports event. Not only do they refuse to investigate how this was activated, by who and when but they refuse to refund the money!! I have had to start legal proceedings against them. My advice is don't, ever, give this lot your card details or if you do keep a very close eye on your bank account because they will take money, unauthorised and then refuse to pay it back.

@Bill7   Has it been used at any point in the last two years by anyone?  https://watch.nowtv.com/mytv/viewing-history (continue watching)  will show what has been watched recently.  If it has then I don't think there is much that can be done, someone is using it.

Unfortunately you have to provide card details to get the service, but what I do is provide a card that is due to expire or alternatively a pre-paid credit card where they can only get the money if you put funds on the card.  Pockit prepaid will give you £5 if you deposit £10, so you can keep the amount on the card so low that you won't get charged for anything.  Best to leave £1 on, so the authorisation goes through.

0 Thanks
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Bill7Have you ever had the Movie trial? Many people take the trial and foget to cancel before the trial runs out but it does clearly state if not cancelled it will continue after the trial and take payments. It may be possible that somebody in your home activated the trial via your box, very easy to do if you dont have a payment pin set up.

Still two years is a long time to notice it.. i keep a close eye on my bank\credit accounts. In todays world its a must really 😛

0 Thanks
Bill7
Occasional Poster

It’s not my job to protect myself against fraud. How about they don’t commit fraud in the first place?

0 Thanks
Highlighted
Bill7
Occasional Poster

No it hasn't been used, at all, by anyone and i've already explained that to the so called "chat line" until i'm blue in the face. They can see that it's never been used. They have the card details from the use of the one off 6.99 sky sports service that I occaisionally use for something I want to see on Sky Sports. I have never used a movie service. 

0 Thanks
ukbobboy
Expert 2

@ClockEnd @Anonymous User @Bill7

Hi CE and Raev

Can you believe this guy, imagine saying the following:

It’s not my job to protect myself against fraud. How about they don’t commit fraud in the first place?

It is the daftest thing I have ever read, especially when the computers taking from and paying into our accounts, from time to time, glitch, crash, make mistakes, etc., therefore if he is not responsible for his own account then who is?

Just last month my bank's computer threw a wobbly, changed some reference details on a payee's account and the payment I was making got rejected.  Now the payee automatically thought I was being delinquent and tried to charge me a non-payment fee and daily interest on the outstanding amount.  If I did not have my records and payment history to hand I would have been clobbered for a mistake my bank had made, even though the my bank won't admit it.

You know, organisations today will not admit that they do anything wrong but it is truly sad when someone will not take responsibility for their own financial well being.

UK Bob

ClockEnd
Advocate 1

@Bill7 wrote:

@Bill7 It may not be your job, but whenever you give your credit/debit card or bank account details out it makes sense to monitor the accounts so you can involve those who can protect you as soon as possible.  Had the debit been spotted early on (in first 60 days) your bank could have refunded you.    I have a payment PIN on my account so my father doesn't idly spend a fortune on sports day passes over yuletide.  If only I had an activation PIN as well... 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@ClockEnd@ukbobboy

Yep the exact same thoughts came across my mind but i withheld myself from posting as i could see it going round in circles and resulting in me banging my head many times 😛 😛

If you can't take responsibility to look after your accounts then well... good luck 😛

0 Thanks
ClockEnd
Advocate 1

@ukbobboy wrote:

@ClockEnd @Anonymous User @Bill7

Can you believe this guy, imagine saying the following:

It's pretty naive.  

One thing that would help is to have continuous payment authorities CPAs subject to the same rules as direct debits.  http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/banking/recurring-payments.  The best way to prevent CPAs is a prepaid card like Pockit.  

They are bringing is permit parking in my area and whilst I do trust Now TV to be pretty reasonable (and they have been in any dispute I have had), I certainly wouldn't trust a private parking firm looking to raise revenue from street parking. They'd probably take the unjustified fines directly as well.

I don't see it as fraud.  It's a payment dispute, and it should have noted a lot earlier.  Best that can be done now is to contact the credit card company and dispute the payments.  Worked for me with Gourmet Society.

0 Thanks
Bill7
Occasional Poster

I am responsible for my account, I am not responsible for people taking unauthorised money from it. Next time someone punches you in the face don't forget to blame yourself for getting your head in the way. Fool. 

0 Thanks