cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

I just want to cancel my account.

I recently sold my old now tv box at a car boot. However someone has now started a free month entertainment trial, not me. I now just want to cancel my whole account. PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

Sounds to me that when you sold the NowTV Box at the Car Boot Sale you didn't factory reset the box to remove all your sensitive account details, hence the reason the person who bought the box is using your account where it looks like that they have bought a pass on it.

I would suggest speaking to live chat on what course of action needs to be done to rectify this.

Link here to live chat.

https://help.nowtv.com/contact-us/managing-my-devices

View solution in original post

21 REPLIES 21
Anonymous User
Not applicable

I just want to cancel now monthly fibre broadband phone, and cannot get through on the phone.  Ive gone round in circles trying to cancel online.  What am i missing?  I chose monthly without a contract, as it would be easier to cancel, but its not.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

Anything in this link article helps in anyway ?

https://help.nowtv.com/article/how-do-i-cancel-broadband 

If not use the communication methods from this link page below.

Should you be phoning the NOW Broadband Team, then their phone lines are open between 8am to 8pm 7 days a week.

Whenever i have phoned them during opening hours it takes between 10 to 20 minutes (sometimes quicker depending how busy they are).

https://help.nowtv.com/article/how-to-submit-a-broadband-complaint1 

RoyB
Legend

Hi @Anonymous User 

It looks like you still have access to your account, so I guess they haven’t changed the password.

So wrest control of your account back by changing the password, specifying email if needed.

You can do this even if the person now using your old box has changed the password on the account so you don’t know it, by claiming you have forgotten it, and getting a new one by email, as long as they haven’t changed that as well.

Then you can change the password, set a Payment PIN under My Account/Settings & PINs, and Cancel any Passes you don’t want to keep running.

This will prevent any further misuse of your account; and indeed, any use of it, once the current signon expires.

But you may be in the hole for a month of whatever passes they bought, which could wipe out any profit on you car boot sale item several times over, unless you can then get in touch with Live Chat and get the Passes blocked right away,

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
RoyB
Legend

S@Anonymous User  I’ve done some more digging here.

It looks like if you give (or sell!) someone a box or Stick with your live account still on it, then they can:-

Watch anything you can watch, subject to the maximum two streams rule;

Obtain Passes on request, for services you aren’t currently subscribed to (which you will pay for) unless you have set a Payment PIN they don’t know;

Learn what your Account Number is.

But I don’t think they can learn what your password is. They can take that Account Number and try to log on as you, and say they forgot their password, but unless they know or can guess the answer to any Security Question you have set up, the email will come to your email address.

And they can’t learn your email address, or change it, from anything on the box/Stick, or from trying to get into your account.

So you can’t actually lose control of your account this way. Accordingly, you can log on, set a Payment PIN, and stop them buying any more Passes.

It’s also a wise precaution to change your password. Though I don’t know (any experts out there please chip in) if this would stop them continuing to use your services straight away, or only if they sign out and try to sign in again. Which they probably won’t, as they wouldn’t know your password to get back in, even if it was still the original one.

But I am assuming the effect of setting a Payment PIN is immediate, and would affect them.

However, your next weapon here is My Account/Devices. Identify which device they are using - your old box - and delete it. 

That will stop them completely.

Then Cancel the Passes they set up.

Having stopped the rot, which is your first priority and can all be done from your account, by you, without needing NowTV assistance, you can then get on to Live Chat, and see what can be done about any Passes they have bought with your money....

@schnapps while your suggestion of a factory reset before disposing of a NowTV device is the gold standard, would I be right in thinking that signing out of NowTV would have been enough to stop the new owner using that?

Then the new owner would only have been able to piggyback on the seller’s Netflix account, BBC iPlayer login, etc..... So yes, Factory Reset to cover everything in one fell swoop.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @RoyB 

Like you said signing out of any Apps such has NowTV, Netflix etc that shows your account details is another method, but i find the factory reset to be cleaner and quicker to wipe any personal information from your devices before selling them on or giving them away or recycling it.

I would always recommend any electronic device that has your personal details saved on it should be factory reset to remove any sensitive information.

If the person who received the box was an honest person, they would have deleted the previous owners details and logged into the device with their own account, where they are getting a free meal ticket on the back of somebody who has made a genuine mistake.

Agree with you about all the counter measures that you have mentioned to prevent somebody hijacking your account (where you see this happen a lot with ex partners, family members or ex friends where the account holder has given them their account details to use on their devices).

Setting up a security question on your account, should help with this senerio if you wish to continue to use your existing email address and continue using the nowtv service.

Here's is one typical discussion on the subject matter.

https://community.nowtv.com/t5/Off-Topic-Chat/Blocking-a-device/m-p/447833

To be honest i tend to steer clear of all account related matters on the forum and stick to technical questions which i enjoy engaging in or questions where i think i may know the answer too (not always the case mind where i am totally off track and barking up the wrong tree 😀).

Where all account matters should be addressed directly in private between the account holder and live chat (NowTV employed representative) who should be able to assist, help and hopefully resolve the matter to the customers satisfaction.

Hopefully @Anonymous User has now gotten through to live chat and they have blocked the culprit in question, cancelled and closed the account (if that is what they are looking for), removing all personal and financial details from the NowTV database and giving a refund which i believe Pleasehelpme2go was looking for ?

Lets hope @Anonymous User gets this resolved with live chat without needing to take further steps of getting their bank involved to block future NowTV payments which i would imagine would be more grievance and hassle involved.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@schnapps wrote:

>removing all personal and financial details from the NowTV database

Ha ha!  You should be so lucky.

I have never known of a single person who has succeeded in having their personal and financial details removed from the NowTV database.  Despite the recently improved Data Protection legislation, they insist that they must retain your details for several years after you have closed your account "for security reasons".

Wlat

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

I will take your word on it, where i have never had a reason to ask NowTV to remove my personal details from their database where i am happy with the service they provide me 😊.

Suppose i will find out myself should i ever ask them in the future 😡.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

File a complaint and demand that they delete your account in accordance with GDPR regulations.   They have a legal requirement to oblige.  They will Help cancel all passes and will action Account deletion in 28days.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I would like to cancel my account 

marybrewe12
Observer

@Anonymous User i no longer use my now tv but the money is still coming out of my account iv tried for over an hour and im gettig nowhere