cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Finding out you have an active pass on an inactive account

Hello!

So a few days ago I noticed I was being billed 11.99 for a cinema pass but on my account there was no active pass. 

After days of going through multiple live chats and many helpful people, I discovered that I had an old account that had an active pass. I have not used this account since September 2018 so coming upto a year now. The total I was charged was £129.88!

I then tried to get a refund, the now TV people could see that I haven't used that account since September 2018 and could only offer me 11.99 refund even though the passes have not been used. 

On my account that I have now, I have bought multiple passes and have spent £164.75. The total amount I have paid in the last 12 months to now TV is £294.63.

This has been a costly mistake and a very disheartening result, I couldn't find any information on this process anywhere so I thought I'd make a post about it to help someone else who may go through this situation, you CAN get a refund but do not expect the full amount!

Also a lovely person on Live chat told me that if you don't respond/send a message within 5 minutes of the previous message you will be timed out (I frustrating situation I have found myself in the last few days!)

Thank you for reading! 

3 REPLIES 3
Ferrograph
Mentor

I have a similar situation and the account was billed for two year before we noticed due to the confusing litter of "NOWTV" transactions on our bank statement.

They offered a pittance of a refund which I refused. Now they closed the case as "deadlock" and I have to take it to an independent Dispute Resolution (CISAS)  https://www.cedr.com/cisas

I found your post after wondering if others had had similar issues and what the outcome might have been.

I have also made the CMA aware of my case in the hope they will duly be investigated.

redchiz1
Champion 2

Having multiple accounts can cause problems as you have found. Ultimately it is your responsibility to keep track of such things and payments made from your card. After all you can cancel at any time with a maximum of 30 days notice.

If it is clear to NOW that there has been no activity related to the services concerned one could only hope that they may be sympathetic to covering at least some of the payments on a goodwill basis.

I would personally be surprised if CISAS or any other body would feel able to intervene in such circumstances. 

RoyB
Legend

@redchiz1 @Anonymous User @Ferrograph 

I can’t see a basis on which Now would agree to refund one unused month, and yet not refund all of them.

It would mess up the annual accounts though, if they have to make provision for possible reversed revenue recognition.

Maybe Now should email the owners of unused but running accounts after, say, three months? And every three months after that?

Ultimately though, it is incumbent on each of us to check our bank accounts at least monthly, for unexpected money going out; we once had an unexpected mere £0.92, whose detection let us to ward off a larger incipient scam.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.