cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

EE Mobile broadband NOWTV sign in issue

I have been trying to get an answer from NowTV support but with no success so I'm hoping someone else has had this issue and solved it! There is an open case with them which has been "escalated to the higher back office team" (whatever that means)...

We live in a rural location and use EE mobile broadband as our home broadband connection - an EE data only pay monthly SIM in a Huawei router. This works superbly for all the other internet connected things we have at home - fast speeds and I negotiated a healthy monthly data allowance.

We bought a NowTV stick recently and discovered that the "Sign In" pages on the stick and on NowTV's website don't work when I'm connected via the EE mobile broadband - I can see the rest of the site on my laptop, and I can see lots of content via the stick, including streaming content from other providers (eg BBC), but I can't sign in to my NowTV account on the website or on the NowTV stick.

On the stick I can get as far as trying to play NowTV content, and it says "Oops - something went wrong signing you in". On the website it says "Unable to load sign in, please try again later."

If I connect my laptop or the NowTV stick to a mobile hotspot from my phone, which is with a different mobile provider, then everything works fine. This is clearly less than ideal though as watching GoT S8 in HD is going to chew through some serious aounts of data!

Interestingly even to sign in to this forum, which seems to need a SkyID which I guess my NowTV login is, I needed to tether my laptop to my mobile phone hotspot to get sign in to work.

All very weird - does this sound familiar to anyone else, and even better have you found a way round it???

Yours in hope

JonnyMG

2 REPLIES 2
RoyB
Legend

I know it’s not quite the same as your issue, but I just tried NowTV over 3G, and after a certain amount of back and forth with the app, was told there is a setting in My Account that was restricting it to WiFi only.

On changing this, and after due warnings about what it might cost me with my mobile provider, and did I mind if NowTV confirmed my geographic location, it did let me watch GoT.

Do you have this setting? How is it set? if it is On, and you turn it Off, does this solve your problem?

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Anonymous User
Not applicable
Almost…!

Hadn’t tried downloading the app as I have bought the now TV stick to plug into the TV. Oddly the “wifi only” setting in the app, now downloaded, is off and it all works fine. I can login and stream programmes when connected via my EE Mobile broadband.

The setting for “wifi only” doesn’t seem to exist on the website or on the NowTV stick, but I think you may have found the issue - if I could see the setting for those devices and turn it off then I suspect it would work as this has proved there is no intrinsic issue with the site and my mobile broadband.

So all in all, thanks ver much, this info maybe what the support team need to suss out what is going on - if they ever get back to me…

Jon