cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Deleting live tv

Hi, I have now tv on wifi on a couple of smart TVs and on the stick on a small tv.  Is there any way of removing the live tv from the accounts?  We dont have a tv aerial so everything is streamed but we would like to remove live tv so we can tell BBC to shove their licence where the sun dont shine 😄 

2 REPLIES 2
Mark_Weinreb
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User Since live tv isn’t part of your NowTV account, you can’t remove it. You say that everything you watch is streamed, does that include iPlayer? As I understand the law on tv licences, if you have a device capable of receiving tv, by any means, you need a licence. I would also suggest that you carefully read the text on your current licence. 

Can you afford the £1000 fine and criminal record? You may never have seen a detector van, but they do exist and they know who has just cancelled their tv licence and therefore who to investigate.

RoyB
Legend

@Mark_Weinreb @Anonymous User 

It’s a myth that mere ownership of something capable of receiving live TV means you need a licence.

The rules are very clear that it is watching or recording live TV that a licence is required for. Any channel, not just BBC ones. Even if you never watch the recording.

But you also need the licence to watch or download anything on the BBC iPlayer. Even if you never watch the download.

https://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.