cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Eura
Mentor

Complaint about NOW TV subscription

Hi NOW TV,

I am writing to complain about my NOW TV subscription. I signed up for a 6-month subscription on 25th April 2023, but I am now trying to cancel it and I am being refused a refund.

I am entitled to cancel my subscription within 14 days of signing up for it, under the Consumer Contracts (Information, Cancellation and Additional Charges) Regulations 2013. I have tried to explain this to NOW TV customer service, but they have refused to refund me.

I am very disappointed with the way NOW TV has handled this situation. I feel that I have been treated unfairly and I am now considering taking my complaint further.

I would like to request a full refund for my NOW TV subscription. I would also like to be able to cancel my subscription without any further problems!

8 REPLIES 8
redchiz1
Champion 2

The CCR specifically excludes subscriptions like this. You can cancel anytime, but committed to 1 month minimum.

If you want to complain here is the link, use the green Chat online button near the top of the page:

https://help.nowtv.com/article/how-to-submit-a-complaint

Eura
Mentor

Interesting, I think you will find that in the T&Cs and also within CCR there are no such exclusions, where do you get your info from out of interest?

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@redchiz1 

What @Eura has said is bang on, there is a 14 day cooling off period for any TV membership and mentioned in the T&C

https://www.nowtv.com/terms

IMG_2385.png

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
RoyB
Legend

@gavs82008 @redchiz1 @Eura (Not a name that should be read out loud)

Are we sure that:-

“Except where you purchased or activated a membership or viewing add-on and agreed at that point you would lose the right to cancel…..”

does not apply here?

As with immediate activations, like Now memberships can be, members would be required to wait two weeks before taking up the offer, lest they just watch free for up to two weeks, and then cite ‘cooling off’. So in order for Now to allow immediate activations, they need protection from customers who do that, and then try to cite cooling-off.

It does seem a little unfair that the above cites ‘purchasing’, though; ‘activation’, sure, but if the membership is not activated, then I can’t see why cooling off wouldn’t apply.

I’m also unsure that the offer in question isn’t a six-month minimum term one; obviously there is rather more at stake here if so.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Eura
Mentor

Hi Roy, what you added makes sense, this is not in the T&Cs in my receipt email and also when I checked exclusions in CCR this didn't apply.

I can understand why they wouldn't want people just cancelling after 2 weeks. I streamed for a few hours, then all of sudden was bombarded by adverts I couldn't skip, at this point I was not interested in NOW TV as a paid service.

Live chat said it has cancelled my membership with immediate effect but only offered 4.99 refund from a 6.99 purchase for 1 month. I felt this to be unfair and refused the refund. I will seek a solution via paypal resolution. Thanks for your help 🙂

RoyB
Legend

@Eura 

There’s a good consumer-friendly summary here:-

https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/consumer-contracts-regulations-ajWHC8m21cAk

Part of what it says is:-

“Cancelling services

Your right to cancel  You have 14 days from entering into a service contract in which you can cancel it.

The trader shouldn’t start providing the service before the 14 day cancellation period has ended, unless you have requested this.

If you request a service starts straightaway  In this instance you will still have the right to cancel, but you must pay for the value of the service that is provided up to the point you cancel.”

It looks like this is what Now have done, though you may not agree that a few hours is two quid’s worth 😛

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Eura 

You need to speak to staff via live chat to ask for a refund. On here it’s only customers like you and me that come on and post, staff seldom post, however any account related issues to money is pushed through live chat or phone support for broadband.

To speak with staff you need to click “chat online” within the green box. Don’t hit “get help quicker” as this is a bot.
https://help.nowtv.com/article/how-to-submit-a-complaint

If you don’t plan on keeping your account you should email support to ask for it to be closed completely. See below picture for the email address.

IMG_0325.jpeg

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
chilli2
Elite

Did you sign up via the Now website, or a third party?

As far as i know most of the 6 month or similar deals are on a cancel anytime basis , that is you are not tied in - however under that system you end up paying for at least 1 month