cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Serge13
Occasional Poster

Charged without my authorisation

Hi, 

I don’t have any tv boxes or anything and don’t even know what Nowtv is. I have checked my bank account today and there was 2 charges of £7.99 and £9.99. 

I might have signed up through my smart tv months ago for a trial or something, Fare enough it was my fault not to cancel it straight away. But, i have noticed i am being charged not through direct debit, but through my card. And the strange thing is i have received brand new card month ago, and i don’t use nowtv. Although i have been charged today 2 sums above, and i checked billing info and my new card details is on nowtv system. How did this happen? How did they acquire the details of my brand new bank card without my consent? When i don’t even use their services and i didn’t even know the password to log in to my account? 

Labels (1)
0 Thanks
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Mark_Weinreb
Advocate 2

Re: Charged without my authorisation

@Serge13 I can tell you how your new credit card got charged. A number of years ago, the card issuers (banks) noticed that because people were changing their cards for a number of reasons (better interest rates, lost/stolen cards, etc.) they were defaulting on regular payments on their old cards. So they made the decision to make changing cards the same as changing bank accounts. Essentially they move all continuous card authorisations over to the new card so you don’t lose out.

As you’ve found out, there is a downside - you can still get charged for things you’ve forgotten about.

Just remember, the banks introduced this for your benefit. (He says tounge in cheek.)

5 Replies
Mark_Weinreb
Advocate 2

@Serge13 I can tell you how your new credit card got charged. A number of years ago, the card issuers (banks) noticed that because people were changing their cards for a number of reasons (better interest rates, lost/stolen cards, etc.) they were defaulting on regular payments on their old cards. So they made the decision to make changing cards the same as changing bank accounts. Essentially they move all continuous card authorisations over to the new card so you don’t lose out.

As you’ve found out, there is a downside - you can still get charged for things you’ve forgotten about.

Just remember, the banks introduced this for your benefit. (He says tounge in cheek.)

Serge13
Occasional Poster

Thank you for your explanation

0 Thanks
Kayegreen
First Poster

That’s a good explanation but how do i stop the payments as the same thing for the same amounts is happening to me!! 🤔

0 Thanks
Mark_Weinreb
Advocate 2

All I can suggest, @Kayegreen, is that you speak to your bank/card issuer. It is, after all, their responsibility. 

Serge13
Occasional Poster

I had a chat with nowtv team, and asked them to cancel all subscriptions

0 Thanks