cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Charged without my authorisation

Hi, 

I don’t have any tv boxes or anything and don’t even know what Nowtv is. I have checked my bank account today and there was 2 charges of £7.99 and £9.99. 

I might have signed up through my smart tv months ago for a trial or something, Fare enough it was my fault not to cancel it straight away. But, i have noticed i am being charged not through direct debit, but through my card. And the strange thing is i have received brand new card month ago, and i don’t use nowtv. Although i have been charged today 2 sums above, and i checked billing info and my new card details is on nowtv system. How did this happen? How did they acquire the details of my brand new bank card without my consent? When i don’t even use their services and i didn’t even know the password to log in to my account? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Mark_Weinreb
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User I can tell you how your new credit card got charged. A number of years ago, the card issuers (banks) noticed that because people were changing their cards for a number of reasons (better interest rates, lost/stolen cards, etc.) they were defaulting on regular payments on their old cards. So they made the decision to make changing cards the same as changing bank accounts. Essentially they move all continuous card authorisations over to the new card so you don’t lose out.

As you’ve found out, there is a downside - you can still get charged for things you’ve forgotten about.

Just remember, the banks introduced this for your benefit. (He says tounge in cheek.)

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
Mark_Weinreb
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User I can tell you how your new credit card got charged. A number of years ago, the card issuers (banks) noticed that because people were changing their cards for a number of reasons (better interest rates, lost/stolen cards, etc.) they were defaulting on regular payments on their old cards. So they made the decision to make changing cards the same as changing bank accounts. Essentially they move all continuous card authorisations over to the new card so you don’t lose out.

As you’ve found out, there is a downside - you can still get charged for things you’ve forgotten about.

Just remember, the banks introduced this for your benefit. (He says tounge in cheek.)

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thank you for your explanation

Anonymous User
Not applicable

That’s a good explanation but how do i stop the payments as the same thing for the same amounts is happening to me!! 🤔

Mark_Weinreb
Legend 5
Legend 5

All I can suggest, @Anonymous User, is that you speak to your bank/card issuer. It is, after all, their responsibility. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I had a chat with nowtv team, and asked them to cancel all subscriptions

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Y from my account has been charged money 

plese refund me back my money 

RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

Hi

On the Community, we fellow customers can offer you lots of advice on using NowTV, but there’s not a lot we can do about Billing queries, refunds for failed Cancellations, and other areas where only NowTV themselves can help.

There is actually an enormous wealth of information provided by NowTV if you choose the Help option, and the idea is that you work through that, and if it still doesn’t resolve your query (as it usually won’t where money is involved), then you get the option to contact NowTV directly, either by Live Chat or Email, and even - though for Broadband only - by telephone.

However, this process seems to fail for a lot of people - I’m not sure where or why - but we do get the regular complaint on the Community that people can’t find these ‘Get in Touch’ options. And we also get the situation where people hope that posting on the Community about Billing issues means their post will be read by NowTV employees who will start the remediation process with them. But this is rare, and not something you should rely on.

If you have not gone through the Help, then I recommend that you go back and try it.

But if you have gone through it, and got nowhere, here are some useful links:-

Get in Touch (all the options, and the best place to start):-

https://help.nowtv.com/gb/get-in-touch/

Live Chat and Send Us a Message:-

https://help.nowtv.com/contact-us/managing-my-devices

On Live Chat, keep your answers short, sweet and prompt, or it will time out on you.

If the person you are talking to doesn’t seem able to understand your issue, ask to be escalated to the next level of help.

Complaint webform for TV issues:-

https://help.nowtv.com/complaints/tv

Complaint webform for Broadband Issues:-

https://help.nowtv.com/complaints/bb-calls

Good luck!

Finally, a note on Cancellations:-

One constant complaint we see is about failed Cancellations; for anyone who hasn’t actually has one of these, but is reading this and thinking of Cancelling, be aware that the NowTV process for this can mislead you, as you need to press about four Cancel buttons, at least one of which will be off the bottom of your screen with no scroll bars to indicate there is anything down there.

I don’t know why NowTV do it like this; they do themselves no favours in the PR stakes, they don’t make any money this way as they will always give it back for the genuine customer Cancellation fails they cause this way, and it is just extra admin for them. I do understand why NowTV want to hang on to customers; but all the buttons you need to press ought to be on the screen you can see without scrolling, on any device, and there ought to be a clear ‘n Steps To Go’ message at all times, counting down to a clear final ‘You Have Successfully Cancelled’ Message if/when you have.

(Though what do I know? I’ve only been designing user-facing UIs since 1969 Smiley Tongue )

But always remember that you haven’t actually Cancelled until you have received an email confirming that you have Cancelled; if you don’t get the email, double-check under My Account/Passes & Vouchers that it shows Cancelled there.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
RoyB
Legend

(Accidental duplicate deleted)

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
GRUNDY88

NOW TV can't contact to recieve refund and no phone number listed.