cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Cancelling Stuff

Does cancelling your entertainment pass effectively close your account or just revert to the terrestrial channels? As I got Sky cincema pass will that stay on my account?

If I cancel now tv broadband do I get to keep the Hub2 and can it be used as a bridge to another suppliers router? Is there a better router than the Hub2? (e.g more than 2 ethernet ports and better wireless coverage). Will the NOWTV smartbox still work through another suppliers router?

Sorry for all these, I'm weighing up options at the moment, i know basic networking but I don't know how this all works with NowTV equipment.

5 REPLIES 5
gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User 

When you have an Entertainment or Movies pass, this gives you the Live and on demand selection of the channels that are on the passes. 

So if you keep your movie pass but cancel entertainment, you will still then have access to the movies. 

Cancelling off all active passes does not in any way cancel your account. There is a completely different process for this. 

With you saying 'or just revert to the terrestrial channels?' do you have the Now TV smart box with aerial connection by any chance? Either way the "terrestrial channels" are always free regardless of having subscriptions to Now TV or not, you will still be able to watch the Freeview channels. 

The Now TV Box can be used with your mobile when used as a hotspot if needs be. My point is the device is not just locked to a particular Internet provider. 

Yes you should be able to keep the Now TV router, as I still have mines and I have been with Virgin and now with BT. 

Sorry I am not techy enough to know about using the Hub2 as a bridge. 

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User

To add to the sound advice from @gavs82008, and cover the points about the Hub 2; yes there are many routers better than the Hub2:-

Routers with more than two Ethernet ports;

Routers with much much better WiFi coverage;

Routers with much more extensive configuration options.

If you go to a new broadband provider, they will probably want to provide you with their router; but unlike NowTV, their contract will probably not prohibit you using your own router, they will probably be open about the settings you will need with a third-party router, and they will probably not be using the slightly strange and arcane protocols that NowTV use.

But you would need to decide if you want to go to the bother of using a third party router. I do, because the Home Hub that BT supplied me with proved unreliable, and I couldn’t even wait for the promised replacement, but obviously I had to buy it, and then configure it for myself. Not too hard, but then I’m a techie....

On the bridge point though - why do you think you want to do this?  Everything you have now should work directly over the new router, with just a change of WiFi login details on each WiFi device you have, to the new router SSID (identity) and password.

So do you really need it? If you think you do, then please say for what, and we can look at this again.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Ok, probably a bit overkill but wireless coverage in house is not great and having to use home plugs to connect to router,this takes up one port. I have other equipment that I want to use ethernet for but hub only has one port left.

The other option is to have a ethernet hub/switch but if I do that down one ethernet cable to hub, will it reduce speed to 10/100Mbps?

So with a second router upstairs either 3rd party or nowtv (if I leave), I'd be able to bridge them wirelessly.

Also, the price of broadband, Sky cinema and nowtv entertainment passes have gone up. I don't watch TV, don't use Sky cinema that much and binge watch Netflix.

There are slightly better broadband deals out there if you don't take on the addons.

So basically I am trying to find a cheap way to have broadband and the following connected..

One playstation (wireless or ethernet)

One xbox (wireless or ethernet)

three laptops (not all connected at once but I want ethernet option available)

two pc's (only have ethernet)

smart tv (only has ethernet)

and then you got your phones/tablets etc wirelessly.

RoyB
Legend

Even Curry’s don’t  sell less than Gigabit switches. So not an issue there.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
RoyB
Legend

Oops, fat finger. Let’s try again....

Even Curry’s don’t  sell less than Gigabit switches. So not an issue there.

Bridging is massive overkill on a home network; and while you can bridge wirelessly, you are stuffing all the traffic between the two routers up and down one WiFi channel, at the lesser of the WiFi speeds that either can provide. So I’d want to wire them together.

For your connected devices, there’s a 5-port switch in that Curry’s link for £12.99 and a slightly more serious 8-port for £31.99.

Of course, I don’t know where your devices are, or how you are fixed for running Ethernet cable around.

To cover your house, you could consider a mesh system, or one or more WiFi repeaters perhaps.

For my most remote location, the garden room at the far end if the garden, I use a WiFi PLA, like these; I have the 7510 pair.