cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Cancelling Sky for Now TV

Hi

I am considering cancelling my sky tv for now tv to save money.  was thinking of buying a box, is the £45 a one off payment?  Or is that the monthly payment?  Just dont think it is clear.

Any advice on this will be greatly appreciated.  Thanks Anne

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

Good news, once you bought the nowtv box (one off payment) the box is then yours too keep where you will own it outright 😀.

Just beware the new NowTV 4K box doesn't have either a Freeview or Satellite tuner or a hard drive for recording.

Also maybe consider the NowTV stick with a bundled pass which you can currently pick up for £15 from places like Argos & Currys.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

Good news, once you bought the nowtv box (one off payment) the box is then yours too keep where you will own it outright 😀.

Just beware the new NowTV 4K box doesn't have either a Freeview or Satellite tuner or a hard drive for recording.

Also maybe consider the NowTV stick with a bundled pass which you can currently pick up for £15 from places like Argos & Currys.

RoyB
Legend

Hi @Anonymous User 

what @schnapps said, but I hope it’s clear that the actual Passes are paid-for month by month, e.g. £7.99 for Entertainment, £11.99 for Movies, and so on, though you can come and go as you please month by month, and just run one Pass or many, depending on what you like.

The £15 Stick actually comes with 2 month’s Entertainment Passes, so the Stick actually saves you 99p there, theoretically, though the same Currys or Argos you buy it from will sell you a two month Ent pass, on its own, for £10.

Still only £4.99 for a Stick though, which I recommend everyone has at least one of, even though they might have one of the TVs (Samsung and LG) or other device that has a NowTV app, as you know where you are with a Stick.

The £45 box offers 4K, but that’s not NowTV in 4K; it’s the same HD Ready 720p that the Stick gives. So it’s mostly just Netflix in 4K, and one or two other things, which you might find are already on your 4K TV. The box does run cooler than the Stick, though.

Oh, and we mustn’t have too many of you ‘defecting’ from Sky to NowTV, or Sky might decide to make NowTV less attractive Smiley Tongue

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

Like @RoyB correctly mentioned you need to buy a nowtv monthly pass or apply a voucher to your account to use the nowtv service.

I assumed you was referring about just buying the box and you was fully aware of the nowtv passes are extra to use the nowtv streaming service (sorry).

If you are only interested in the third party Apps such has YouTube, BBC iPlayer etc on the box, and you are not interested in the nowtv side of things, then you can start a free trial and cancel it, where you will still have access to the Apps on the box in the future.

Also i just noticed on the Currys website that the NowTV 4K smart box is £29.99 with the bundled passes in a flash sale which finishes Tuesday.

Apart from the NowTV smart box runs much cooler, it also offers auto frame refresh rate, 4K HDR on Netflix, YouTube and BBC iPlayer (content permitting) and offers an Ethernet port together with a better wifi antenna in my opinion from my testing between the stick and smart box.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User  I have the new box and the stick and  I agree with  Schnapps , the box does pick up wifi better , I think its probably because the stick is tucked behind the TV where the box is not. And the price currys are selling it for at the moment is a great buy. I know the stick is cheaper but my preference and recommendation out of the two is the new box. 

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

I suspect that the wifi performance is better on the box rather than the stick for two reasons.

The first reason like you rightly mentioned is that the stick is tucked away hidden behind the back of the television set which doesn't help with the wifi reception and the second reason i am assuming because the box is physically larger in size it can fit a bigger and more powerful wifi antenna inside it compared to the small compact size of the stick.

If going down the box route and if it's practical in your home setup then Ethernet is the way to go every time.