cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Call charges on my account?

I have just checked my account and noticed I have a 50p call charge added for a call to the speaking clock.

There is one simple problem with this, I had the service connected for broadband only. There is no telephone connected to the line, in fact we do not even own a plug in telephone. There is no telephone in the entire house!!

Can somebody please explain to me how a charge can be made for a telephone call that is impossible to make? If there is no telephone plugged into any socket in the building then it is not possible for a number to be dialled. This is an intentional thing as we do not want/need a telephone line but unfortunately it is not possible to have broadband without one.

Please explain!

5 REPLIES 5
PaulNormanUK
Scholar 3

While Openreach will never admit it, their engineers often dial the speaking clock when testing or working on a line. They should be using 17070 but some don't!

Mark_Weinreb
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User Although they have their own (free) number to call, it’s widely known that some Openreach engineers will call the speaking clock when doing a line check. Thus landing you with the bill. Call NowTV and ask them to remove the charge as they should be able to check if any work was done on or near your line in the cabinet or at the exchange.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks for the replies. I never knew this and it should never happen. How many of these charges go unnoticed every year?? I only noticed because there should never be any charges on my phone line.

Is there any way to contact NOW TV without calling as I am deaf and can't use the telephone?

Thanks

Mark_Weinreb
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User At the bottom of the page there is a “How to contact us” link. If you’re persistent, you should get to the live chat option for the broadband team. (Someone may post a direct link for you.)

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Well that was possibly the most difficult thing I have ever had to do online. They make the live chat virtually impossible to find and when I got through nobody answered so the chat kept timing out. When I did finally get to speak to somebody they appeared to sarcastically say that they would "cover" the 50p charge rather than remove it from the account.

I think NOW TV needs a little help in customer relations as they will find it difficult to retain customers if they cannot even handle simple account queries without flippant remarks.