cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Billing problems - unauthorised debits

I have discovered 6 debits on my credit card. NowTV has billed me nearly £70 yet my account shows no (zero) bills and no upcoming bills. I have also not knowingly signed up to any services but did try - and fail - to get a particular series working a few months back.

I have tried all day to get a sensible response. The call centre will only speak about broadband (which I don't get through NowTV), the online chat refuses to load on my PC or mobile (both fully up-to-date and patched) and your Twitter NowTV Help was pretty much useless as they just kept redirecting me to the chat service and did not seem to understand that it was not working. I sent an email but have had no response.

I cannot believe this is so difficult! How do I get to speak to someone who can help or do I just dispute the charges on my credit card?

Thanks.

Richard

23 REPLIES 23
Anonymous User
Not applicable

In my experience, even when it is a 'royal rooster up' the root cause is invariably that one or all of the Execs simply don't care enough to have the right controls in place.

Searching this forum reveals plenty of evidence that NowTV have a track record of making it difficult for customers to assert privacy and GDPR related rights so I don't believe that this is a 'one off' situation.

The un-refunded unauthorised billing was only about £40 to start with but my time and effort trying to get this sorted is much, much greater than that.

The irony is that if I'd been able to speak to someone at the beginning (or any point, actually!) this would probably have been sorted amicably very early.

We are now at the point where because NowTV have frustrated all my efforts to get clarity I will not just 'go away' and intend to take this as far as I can. It is no longer about the refund - it is now about asserting my Rights.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Well, good progress. My complaint to the ICO was upheld and NowTV have confirmed to the ICO that they did not manage my erasure request correctly, nor did they respond properly to my Subject Access Request. They have 14 days to contact me to explain why their position regarding this request. There is more but this clearly shows that even companies who behave in such a cavalier and dismissive way can - and should - be brought to book when they try to intimidate customers (or ex-customers) from asserting their rights. 

This is simply NOT acceptable and if more people took this approach these companies would realise that it is cheaper, easier and far more sensible to manage complaints properly.

It doesn't look like I'll get the money illegally debited back, unfortunately, but I can live with that and hope that this serves as a warning to other customers or potential customers to not trust NowTV with your personal data or billing information or, if you do, to check your statements very carefully.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hello

I’m undergoing this same issue. Money being taken even though there are no subscriptions live on my account. Banks are reluctant to cancel continuous payments, which is how companies get away with it for so long. 

I find the Now TV channels of communication so obstructive, I’m shocked it’s legal. The Live chat is just scripted responses and no listed telephone number. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

So have been billed twice a month for months. Now tv tell me they are only billing me once. Have sent photos of my statements as proof. Today. They sent me an email to tell me they have closed my complaint. I’ve heard nothing from them!!!!

how is this legal?!