cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Being charged after cancellation - Small Claims Court

I am about to take Now TV to small claims court for charging me for 33 months after cancellation. They offered to refund 6months but it wasn't their policy to refund further. Agent couldn't put me through to their manager because she cannot speak on the phone due to covid regulations! I would prefer a to settle this out of court but have ran out of options. Does anyone have the telephone number and email address of the now TV legal team to speed up the claim which will now be for the amount taken, 8% interest and £80 legal charges, adding £337 to the original amount?

3 REPLIES 3
RoyB
Legend

https://help.nowtv.com/article/how-to-make-a-complaint

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks for the link Roy. I'll discuss with them on there in time but I've opened the claim now so I'll let the courts deal with the matter. Shame it has to come to this, the customer service excuses were very disappointing and I worry that other users are being exploited in the same way. 

RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

Hopefully you can demonstrate that you actually did cancel, and that no-one else reactivated the subscription?

If Now are offering you six months money back, though, then I guess they are holding their hands up?

But your issue, if they contest things, will likely be why you didn’t mitigate your loss, and let this go on for 33 months, when it must have been showing up as a monthly charge on an account you held?

So make sure you have a good answer for that.

But, in general, the Small Claims Court (there isn’t really quite such a thing, but we all know what we mean by it) is predisposed towards the individual taking on the big corporate, so you may find Now will look to settle when they know you are serious, if they are just disinclined to return money building up, no matter for how long, as a result of a mistake they made.

I once used the SCC when a company I was doing some freelance work for, doing Excel conversions on a set of Lotus spreadsheets, were disinclined to meet my agreed invoices, and they couldn’t pay me, and enter a ‘States Paid’ defence to the claim, fast enough, to avoid a CCJ.

I was very amused, though, when an expensive solicitor, hired by the guy who wrote the original Lotus versions to get his invoices met, rang me up to ask how I had managed to get paid 😛

Good thing, the SCC….

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.