cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
chilli2
Elite

Adds on Now TV ?- but its a premium subscription service, what are you thinking of Marina Storti?

Now TV is a premium subscription based  Video on demand service (SVOD) , one of many that are now available such as Netflix, Disney plus, amazon prime and so on

None of the premium SVOD services, listed above force you to watch adverts.

"Free" video on demand services such as My5, All 4, ITV hub etc contain adverts however these services are free at the point of delivery, where the price paid by the viewer is having to watch a few adverts

It is absolutely perverse that a company such as Now Tv sees it fit to continue to charge for a service that, if it contains adverts should be "free" at the point of delivery as per  ITV hub, All4, My5 etc, and its no acceptable to discount accounts to any value other than £0.00 per month.

When now Tv first started, it was a way to get ( and pay for)  reduced Sky TV content if you couldn't get Sky via standard means, it also offered a way to legitimately watch content, instead of going down the Kodi with a few add on's route.

This retro grade move by Now TV/Sky will effectively drive away customers who will switch to other services, and even back into the hands of the so called "IPTV" bandits

You can email the managing Director of Now TV, Marina Storti at [email removed]

might get a little further than the echo chamber of a customer forum with no company reps

12 REPLIES 12
starman73
Elite

You get adverts on Sky Sports and that can cost up to £34/month.  Paying for a service does not mean no adverts.  Sky One and Sky Atlantic have ads when watched via satellite/cable, but still have to be paid for.  Sky Cinema has ads between movies.

I don’t see complaining will make any difference.  Best to just cancel and watch Prime, Disney +, Netflix and BritBox.  Eventually when there are fewer subscribers, Now will see sense and either close or have a competitive offering.  

Prime can give multiple streams/downloads in HD and 4K for movies & entertainment (plus sport.music & free delivery) along with no ads for £8/month.  Why pay £20/month for one 720p stream with ads?

chilli2
Elite

The comparison isnt with other "over the air" subscription services such as those form Virgin media or Sky, but more towards premium  Subscription video on demand services, which is the area that Now Tv operate in

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@chilli2 

Sorry to say but adverts are here to stay. 

Complaining to anyone won’t make a spot of difference. 

Comcast who own Sky also own streaming service Peacock in the US. They have adverts on their service, unless you pay $5 to get rid of them. 

All that’s being done is Comcast pushing through consistency on the products it owns. 

The main difference with Peacock is that it’s free with limited content, and to unlock all content it’s $4.99 but with adverts. So exactly like NOW. Albeit different pricing, but that’s down to NOW having more content than Peacock. 

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
starman73
Elite

The comparison isnt with other "over the air" subscription services such as those form Virgin media or Sky

Now has never competed with Prime or Netflix.  Now has about 2 million UK subscribers, Netflix and Prime have around 10 million each.  Sky has close to 10 million subscribers and all Now is there for is to make a bit of money from those of us who don’t have satellite dishes.  

Would be interesting to know how the Now subscribers break down (in numbers and money), but I suspect it is only Sport that makes it worthwhile.  So ads on the cinema and TV shows are probably just a way of making it viable.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/895374/now-tv-households-in-the-uk/

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2020/dec/27/netflix-amazon-and-disney-push-uk-to-more-than-...

Saint1976
Elite 3

@starman73 in addition to your comment, Now operates in 4 countries while Netflix, Prime and Disney operate in hundreds.

Global subscribers of those services dwarf Now which gives them greater revenue.

A point I've made before, Amazon are guarded about Prime Videos actual revenues, but it's believed to run at a loss. Profit is made from add on services/channels and rentals, but the whole point of the 'Prime' services are to drive expenditure through shopping. With company revenue in excess of £200 billion, Amazon can throw money at Prime Video without ever making a dent in their bottom line.

starman73
Elite

Amazon are guarded about Prime Videos actual revenues, but it's believed to run at a loss. Profit is made from add on services/channels and rentals, but the whole point of the 'Prime' services are to drive expenditure through shopping.

It’s impossible to quantify.  Amazon use video as an enticement along with music, eBooks, photo storage and free delivery.  Some people don’t do any additional shopping whereas others spend a lot.   Prime video used to be third rate compared to Netflix and Now, but nowadays I would say it is the best of them all.  More good new movies and an improved back catalogue.

Saint1976
Elite 3

Now TV is a premium subscription based Video on demand service (SVOD) 

Are they? They don't market themselves as a video on demand service and the countless 3rd party articles available simply call them a subscription based TV streaming service. With the availability of live channels, I see them as just that - a streaming service.

It is absolutely perverse that a company such as Now Tv sees it fit to continue to charge for a service that, if it contains adverts should be "free" at the point of delivery as per ITV hub, All4, My5 etc, and its no acceptable to discount accounts to any value other than £0.00 per month.

You expect them to deliver content for free? So free Premier League football, movies and entertainment? If all their content was free, Now, Sky, Virgin and BT would collapse as advertising revenue would not be enough to sustain any of their businesses.

This retro grade move by Now TV/Sky will effectively drive away customers who will switch to other services, and even back into the hands of the so called "IPTV" bandits

Doubtful. If anything drives people to those services it's either the overall cost of subscription services or the fragmentation of subscription services (having the need for multiple subscriptions). Those watching on IPTV are watching the same live content which includes adverts.

Now/Sky have made their decision and, much like Apple dropping the headphone jack while competitors laughed, it won't be long before other services follow. Netflix has already trialled pre-show ads, Prime Video has trailers (although currently you can skip them) and Google TV has just implemented home screen ads.

chilli2
Elite

You expect them to deliver content for free? So free Premier League football, movies and entertainment? If all their content was free, Now, Sky, Virgin and BT would collapse as advertising revenue would not be enough to sustain any of their businesses.

Last time i checked Now Tv content was not free - as in free at the point of watching

have i missed something??

Now TV requires a paid subscription to watch its online content

Amazon Prime requires a paid subscription to watch its online content

Netflix requires a paid subscription to watch its online content

Disney Plus requires a paid subscription to watch its online content

all but one of the above are free from advertising, as well as hainving both movies and entertainment under one subscription fee

ITV hub/STV player requires no subscription to watch its advert funded content

All 4 requires no subscription to watch is advert funded content

My5 requires no subscription to watch its advert funded content

Saint1976
Elite 3

@chilli2 your assertion was that if a service contains ads, it should be free.

It is absolutely perverse that a company such as Now Tv sees it fit to continue to charge for a service that, if it contains adverts should be "free" at the point of delivery as per ITV hub, All4, My5 etc,

Sky will not deliver their services (via satellite or Now) for free because it has ads.