cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Account deletion (not just cancelling passes)

During a free trial, I discovered that NowTV requires software that is incompatible with Linux, so I cancelled my passes without ever even using the free trial.

My question is NOT about cancelling passes--I have seen other questions on this forum about account deletion, but the answer is always about how to cancel a pass. But I'll give it another try,

since it is apparently impossible to contact NowTV by phone, chat or email.

Under GDPR, NowTV must allow users to withdraw consent for data processing, and must not make withdrawing consent harder than it was to opt in.

Like others who have posted on this forum, I want to delete my account. This means that I am withdrawing consent for NowTV to hold my email address, home address, card details, and any other information given when I signed up.

How can I delete my account?

9 REPLIES 9
RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User wrote:

During a free trial, I discovered that NowTV requires software that is incompatible with Linux, so I cancelled my passes without ever even using the free trial.

My question is NOT about cancelling passes--I have seen other questions on this forum about account deletion, but the answer is always about how to cancel a pass. But I'll give it another try, since it is apparently impossible to contact NowTV by phone, chat or email.

Under GDPR, NowTV must allow users to withdraw consent for data processing, and must not make withdrawing consent harder than it was to opt in.

Like others who have posted on this forum, I want to delete my account. This means that I am withdrawing consent for NowTV to hold my email address, home address, card details, and any other information given when I signed up.

How can I delete my account?

It’s all here.

Specifically:-

Keeping your data up to date and your rights

You can contact us via Manage Account for Sky, My Account for NOW TV, or on 03442 414 141 (in the UK) or 0818 719 819 (in ROI) to update, amend, correct your information. You also have the following rights:

• to request access to, or erasure of, the personal data we hold about you
  • to request us to restrict the processing of the personal data we hold about you
  • to object to us processing personal data relating to you
  • where you have given us consent to process your personal data, you have the right to withdraw that consent at any time
  • you have the right to obtain certain personal data from us in a format that can be transferred electronically to a third party (also called “data portability”).

Please note that some of these rights are not absolute. In some cases, we may refuse a request to exercise particular rights if complying with it meant that we are no longer able to meet our contractual obligation to provide you with particular products and services. However, we will keep you informed as to the actions that we can take when you make your request.

================================

Though unless you don’t own a TV into which you can plug a £20 NowTV Stick (including two month’s Entertainment passes, worth £10 - £16), I can’t help thinking giving up NowTV because it won’t run on Linux is a bit overkill Smiley Tongue

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

So Rob

Am I right in thinking you are an employee of Sky/Now TV? 

Monitoring this forum community and helping people with issues? Is this what the ‘helper 5’ under your user name means?

If so, I take it that your advice is valid.

..and calling the number within the Now TV privacy policy with in fact result in the ability to talk to someone and fully cancel my account.

Is this correct?

thanks

RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User wrote:

So Rob

Roy

Am I right in thinking you are an employee of Sky/Now TV? 

No, I am purely a NowTV customer like you. I just wandered in off the street, so to speak, with a query of my own, and stuck around.

Monitoring this forum community and helping people with issues?

Monitoring no, but helping, yes, and purely as a volunteer. I get a warm glow when someone acknowledges I’ve helped them.

Is this what the ‘helper 5’ under your user name means?

As you climb the ‘ladder’ on the Community, you are promoted through the ranks:-

First Poster

Occasional Poster 

Contributor 1-5 

Regular 1-5

Helper 1-5  

Advocate 1-5   

Scholar 1-5  

Mentor 1-5  

Expert 1-5 

Elite 1-5

Champion 1-5

Legend 1-5

And the superstars exhibit three asterisks after their names, to show that they are especially qualified.

So I am just poised to leave the top of the sixth rung for the bottom of the seventh rung (I hope).

If so, I take it that your advice is valid.

It’s valid in that it quotes official NowTV documentation, and gives a link to it so you can review it for yourself.

Some of my advice is valid for that reason, some is valid because I’ve actually done the thing I am describing, some is valid because I am parroting advice from those on the rungs above me, some is mere speculation, and some is open to refinement or even contradiction.

...and calling the number within the Now TV privacy policy will in fact result in the ability to talk to someone and fully cancel my account.

If how NowTV claim that they are handling this doesn’t work, nothing will. Obviously, it’s not something I have ever tried. But if they don’t follow their own published procedure, they will get in a right tangle with GDPR, which is something I used to know a bit about.

But in a straight fight between what NowTV say you should do to be forgotten, and anything else you might like to try, and in the absence of anyone more authoritative that me saying “Don’t do what NowTV say, do this instead”, what you have above is the best advice I can find, and so the best advice I can give.

And which I haven’t seen anywhere else on the Community, though it might well be repeated somewhere I haven’t looked.

Is this correct?

As above, to the best of my knowledge yes, though I do not and cannot speak for NowTV.

thanks

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
RoyB
Legend

Ooh look, I climbed the ladder a bit more, just like i’d hoped Smiley Tongue

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks for your advice on contacting Sky--that was helpful.

"Though unless you don’t own a TV into which you can plug a £20 NowTV Stick (including two month’s Entertainment passes, worth £10 - £16), I can’t help thinking giving up NowTV because it won’t run on Linux is a bit overkill"

I don't own a TV, so it isn't overkill.

RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User wrote:

Thanks for your advice on contacting Sky--that was helpful.

"Though unless you don’t own a TV into which you can plug a £20 NowTV Stick (including two month’s Entertainment passes, worth £10 - £16), I can’t help thinking giving up NowTV because it won’t run on Linux is a bit overkill"

I don't own a TV, so it isn't overkill.

Cheers for that. So not overkill at all then. And the chances of the NowTV player running under WINE are probably zero, or thereabouts Smiley Tongue

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Update:

When I called the number RoyB suggested, Sky told me that I have to call NowTV. After some discussion, I persuaded them to put me through, but still don't have a number to contact NowTV directly.

When I spoke to NowTV on the phone, they claimed that they can't help with NowTV accounts!

Apparently the only way to contact them is via their online LiveChat. Which doesn't work on Linux or an Android.

So the correct answer is that I have to borrow a friend's computer to log into my NowTV account and LiveChat to NowTV  about cancelling my NowTV account.

Just to reiterate:

"Under GDPR, NowTV must allow users to withdraw consent for data processing, and must not make withdrawing consent harder than it was to opt in."

RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User  @Karl-F 

This is simply scandalous.

Karl, there is no legal way that Sky or NowTV can publish details of how to get your account deleted, and then not honour them, deny they exist or whatever.

This is an absolute breach of GDPR, and could get both companies into a lot of expensive trouble.

Can you kindly have a dig around, and find out what’s going wrong here? I would suggest you should start with Compliance, the department or person most motivated to close any loophole here and ensure everyone on the end of the referenced phone lines is absolutely clear on what their duties are, and what they absolutely must not do.

(I’m responsible for the daily safeguarding of £200m-worth of PII for a major UK company, so I’ve been trained on GDPR to ensure, as far as possible, that I don’t drop them in it.)

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I submitted a complaint to NowTV. The response is copied below--note the claim that "the best [they] can [do] is clear the card and address details..."

I haven't replied yet. Of course I would like my card and address details cleared as a priority, but it looks like they will make it very difficult to delete my account. This is backed up by another poster, who was able to contact NowTV on LiveChat: https://community.nowtv.com/t5/Account-Billing/Interesting-to-note-that-Now-TV-will-not-delete-perso...

How is it possible for Sky/NowTV to get away with such an obvious breach of GDPR?

---

Here's NowTV's reply to my complaint:

Thanks for contacting NOW TV.

Its never a good feeling to see our customer leave NOW TV.

As I checked your account I see that there is no active pass or recent charges on the account and I assure you that you will not be charged going further unless a pass is purchased from your end.

As you wish to delete the account the best I can is clear the card and address details on the account and account will be in inactive status.

Please confirm if you wish to proceed further.

Awaiting your response.

To contact us about this topic, reply to this email without changing the subject line.

Or, if you would prefer to use Live Chat visit our Help site selecting the same topic as before and once you’re on chat give us your reference number.

Thanks,

Davidson

The NOW TV Team