cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Yes, it’s a bit commercial. Yes, it can be a tad overhyped. Yes, it’s very…American. But the NFL brings compelling drama, and I urge you to seek the same epiphany I recently had.

The NFL. It's football, but not as we know it.

So, let’s set the scene. My love affair with American Football had already been gathering momentum for a few years; beginning with harmless flirting, before a few dates and naughty texts. However, the tension, guilt and lying was all blown away on Sunday morning when watching the New England Patriots against the Baltimore Ravens.

The Ravens were leading 28-21 and inching towards what would be – in English football parlance – an impressive away win. However, the Patriots – the closest thing I have to ‘my team’ in NFL – are masters at performing comebacks… They are also now masters of making me sit up in bed at 1 in the morning shouting “NO WAY! NO, THAT HASN’T HAPPENED!” and subsequently waking up my neighbours.

With minutes remaining in the third quarter, Tom Brady – the New England Patriots quarterback – threw the ball to wide receiver Julian Edelman, who chucked it downfield to Danny Amendola, who plucked the ball from the air and ran in for a game-changing touchdown. Now, I realise that that description means nothing to the more casual NFL fan. Trust me; in a sport which often sees far more predictable plays, this was a brilliant moment.

Amendola's touchdown though. Goodness...

And that was it, I had gone from occasional NFL viewer to super duper crazy fan… I may hold off on getting a massive foam hand and a beer helmet, but I’m essentially there. In fact… I’m essentially an American now. I still don’t know most of the rules off by heart, I still like going to bed early every now and then (I’m rock and roll like that) and I still laugh at the fact that little yellow flags are used to denote infringements, but this is a sport I can get on board with.

And hopefully, so can you.

This weekend, the Patriots are once again in action as they host the Indianapolis Colts. Before that, the Seattle Seahawks (reigning Super Bowl champions) face the Green Bay Packers. Trust me, these are big, big games. Again reverting to English football vernacular, these are like the semi-finals of the Champions League… but without the away goals nonsense or fake injuries.

Can the Packers send the reigning champions...packing?

You can catch every kick, throw and play of both the NFC and AFC Championship games with a NOW TV Day Pass. If you only want to watch the ‘football’ on the side, feel free to combine it with the ‘football’ action earlier in the day, when West Ham play Hull and Manchester City take on Arsenal. We’re easy-going like that.

So whether you become a super fan or an ‘I’m not looking for a big commitment’ kind of guy/gal, we know you’ll love the NFL… Hopefully starting this weekend. Catch both matches from 7p.m on Sunday.

Touchdown!

1 Comment