cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Poor old David Moyes never looked like he belonged at United, stalking the corridors of Old Trafford like a sombre, red-headed ghost. Moyes worked as hard as any manager around, but always looked as overwhelmed by the job as the work experience guy given a first taste of real, bitter life.

Louis van Gaal has a personality that is a perfect fit for a club like Manchester United.

As for Mr Van Gaal, he already seems up for the challenge. Some call him confident, others say his famously long neck helps support his apparent ‘big head’, but it is beyond debate that he is qualified to succeed. Yes, he has only managed three friendly games with United, but (with the help of penalties against Inter Milan) he has won them all, in attractive style to boot. He even got Ashley Young scoring. Twice.

It’s also worth remembering that Moyes lost two of his first three pre-season games last season, against the mighty Singha All-Stars and Yokohama. As a United fan, I often woke up on warm July mornings to news of a new embarrassment, while hoping for a new signing or two…or five. Those signings never arrived. Van Gaal has already made two new additions to his side, with the promise of more to come. Hope has become expectation.

The size of the job seemed to overwhelm David Moyes.

So, what can United achieve this season?

Unlike last year, the Red Devils have a relatively simple start to their Premier League campaign. Indeed, after complaining about the difficult nature of their start in 2013, Moyes probably smashed a mug or two when he saw the opening fixtures United have been given. With that in mind, United should expect to rack up a big total of points before they play the big boys.

By then, United’s new signings (however there may be) should have settled into the team and, with no Champions League as a distraction, I really believe United can challenge for the title this season. Last season, Moyes’ men never recovered from a poor start and then collapsed like biscuit which had been too long in a cup of tea, with false dawns preceding reality checks almost every week.

Liverpool's Brendan Rogers will be in the van Gaal's sights.

With Man City looking to defend their title and Chelsea again strong, I can’t see Van Gaal and co winning the Premier League but, despite Arsenal looking set to claim their reserved fourth place, a Champions League spot is up for grabs. Intriguingly, Liverpool look the most likely challengers to United for that reward. That should be fun.

So, I keep my fingers crossed for another couple of new additions, but with genuine belief that this season will be better than last. That said, the only way this campaign could go worse is if United go bankrupt…and I don’t see that happening.

Going back to Liverpool, no one could have expected their thrilling challenge for the Premier League title last season, but they were aided by a manager with a clear philosophy and no Champions League to tire weary legs. United have those same advantages. Like Liverpool, I expect that United may just fall short, but the dark days of David could soon be illuminated by Louis.