cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

So let’s start with your win over Canada at the weekend. Is confidence high in the Samoan camp at the moment?

Yeah, well we can’t read too much into that game, we didn’t play as well as we hoped we would, but a win’s a win and we needed that test to see where we are at. We have a lot to work on, but we took a few positives out of it. So, it all helps with our build-up for this England test.

After beating Canada, Fotuali'i and co are coming after England.

It certainly looked like a physical game; we saw one of your tackles on the Canadian scrum-half (carrying him into touch)! That looked pretty fun…

I was the only one who seemed to know it had happened! No-one really talked about it afterwards! But I was just trying to do my job and it went my way!

Speaking of scrum-halves, who do you think is the best number 9 in World Rugby right now?

I’d say Aaron Smith, from the All Blacks. The enthusiasm and energy that he brings to the game is great. The speed of his passes are really good – he’s got a great pass on him – so that energy he’s got really sets him aside from everyone else at the moment.

Aaron Smith - the best scrum-half in the world?

So who would you say were your Rugby heroes growing up?

I always used to look up to (former New Zealand Flanker/Number 😎 Michael Jones. He was one of the players I’d say was a hero when I was growing up.

Are there any rising stars within the Samoan team we should look out for this weekend and at the World Cup?

Yeah, there are a couple of boys who are new to the squad for this tour, pushing for a place in the squad for the World Cup. Michael Stanley, who actually grew up in England is one. He had all his schooling and got all his Rugby knowledge from this part of the world. We’ve also got TJ Ioane, who is a very physical and exciting back-rower, who has a good skillset on him.

With the World Cup coming up, are there any goals for Samoa? Getting out of the group stage has to be a target?

At the moment, we’ve got to be a bit realistic. In the back of our minds, we want to get out of the pool first and foremost. That said, with the way Scotland are playing at the moment, it’s going to be tough, especially with South Africa in the pool as well.

Even the likes of USA and Japan, they’re teams that are getting better and better each year and, come World Cup time, it’s their one chance to really prove themselves. Hopefully we take our chance with both hands, play well and perform well and get out of the pool stages.

Can Samoa get to a first World Cup quarter-final since 1995?

Moving forward to this weekend, England have lost five matches on the bounce. From the outside looking in, do they have any reason to panic?

No, not at all! I don’t think they need to panic. The two Tests they had against New Zealand and South Africa they gave away one easy try in each match and it could have been a different story without those errors. I’d say that, come the World Cup, they’ll have all the boxes ticked and they’re going to be tough to beat, especially at home with all the support that they’re going to have.

Like anyone else in the competition, you get one chance to succeed and you have to take the opportunities.

The game at the weekend sees you up against Northampton club-mate Courtney Lawes, are you looking forward to that?

No. Definitely not looking forward to it! I’m just lucky I’m not one of the ones who runs off the ruck or is part of the back-line. That's where he can do the most damage, where he loves hitting the number 10s and those big runners coming towards him. So hopefully they keep the ball away from me! When he’s fit and ready to train, he saves most of his energy for game day!

Here's Kahn getting the better of Courtney Lawes in 2010...

So with the physical style which Samoa are very famous for, do you have a game-plan for Saturday?

Well, we’ve got to match them physically. Our forwards have got to front up, especially at the set-piece where England are very strong, probably the best in World Rugby from the set-piece at the moment. So the whole pack have got to front up there, hopefully use the ball well and show a bit more flair and let the natural talent flow.

Back to you, do you have any pre-game rituals that you like to stick to?

Not really…well, yes I do actually! I call them the 3 S’s… I probably can’t say the first one, but then I shower and shave. No wait! Shave and then shower.

Got to get all that in the right order…

Yes!

So, other than the weather, what’s your favourite part about living in the UK?

Ooooh, favourite thing about the UK…

I know there’s a lot to choose from…

I know! Where we are in Northampton at the moment, there’s nice scones and cups of tea. On our days off, we go to this nice place called ‘Are You Being Served’ in Northampton and it’s really nice – really tasty scones. I just love that culture of being in England.

Kahn Fotuali'i: loves a scone.

So, finally, do you have any predictions for the weekend? What should we be sticking a tenner on?

Ooooh. I’d say 23-12…

We’ll make a note of that! Thanks, Kahn!

No worries, thank you.

You can catch the rest of the QBE Internationals with a Sky Sports Pass from NOW TV. For more information, check out this link: po.st/NTVRugby