cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Cannot watch BBC iplayer, 4OD or Demand 5

This problem with my nowtv box has lasted over a month and totally fed up with it:

None of the following will play:

BBC iplayer: buffer symbol for ages, then error message: Sorry: timeout. There has been a problem playing this programme.

4od - adverts play - buffer symbol for ages - then error message: This content is currently unavailable. Please try again later

Demand 5 - adverts play - programme sponsor's message plays - then buffer symbol for ever, no error msg

Now, before you say: reset the box, check your internet connection, blah blah, the following do play:

Nowtv

itv on demand

BBC sport

BBC news

Troubleshooting: i have already done the following several times:
reset the nowtv box with factory reset, and reinstalled tv channels
rebooted my internet modem/router
removed firewall from my modem

My internet is fibre broadband provided by xln telecom, tested and verified at very high speed
no problem with internet access at all

Any bright ideas?

44 REPLIES 44
Anonymous User
Not applicable

I must admit that from being a great player Demand5 has really gone down hill with the advent of all the adverts.

Obviously there's a major problem with the app and the way it handles adverts that makes it seem like a lot of buffering.

Not so much of a problem with 4OD

I'm using Roku LT

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I forgot to add that I can view all these channels through my laptop and xbox 360 using the same internet connection, but direct to BBC iplayer, 4OD and Demand 5.

So what is the issue with these apps on the nowtv box?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

All the apps are provided by the channels and not by Roku or NOWTV so actual point of complaint is the channel.

As I've said Demand5 is my major problem using Roku LT - contemplating recording programmes again on Humax.

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5
@Anonymous User

Just to clarify there is no general problem with those apps on the NOW TV box. I can play all 3 fine, including getting to the actual programme itself and watching that. I've just checked now to make sure it isn't an intermittent issue but again all fine. I'm only on a bog-standard 5meg link.

I know that doesn't help you but it's not an issue with the NOW TV box in general, so you would need to look at what's causing the problem in your particular setup. I realise you've done a lot of troubleshooting steps yourself but hopefully someone else may have an idea to help you.

One possible thought ... I know you mentioned doing a factory reset, but did you try a hard reset using the reset button at the back of the box? That's always my first step if the NOW TV box starts acting irregularly.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

no problems with me with the nowtv box I have now had a week but I also have sky internet.    Maybe  you have a faulty box - consider send it back for a replacement? or do u have a friend who can try it at their home? you dont say if it was ever ok? you dont say if your other devices use wifi or wired? maybe an issue with your wifi if they dont

Anonymous User
Not applicable

also how far away from the  router is the nowtv box? it does use wifi and maybe the signal it getting not very good?  try putting the now tv closer?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi MessyBoy

My problem is exactly the same as yours. I can get ITV Player, but that's all. Plenty of ads and sponsor ads but no progs on the other 3 catch-up services.

I have tried everything, except the hard reset. It all works fine via my lpatop with same router, HDMI cable etc, broadband speed is 12MbPS. Will try the reset tonight, but not holding out much hope.

Are you still having problems?

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5
@Anonymous User and @Anonymous User

Just a reminder on the hard reset, if you do try make sure the box is powered up first. The push a pin or paper clip into the reset hole in the back for about 15 secs until you see the box restart itself. This will take you right back to factory settings so you will need to set up your wifi and NOW TV account again.
Anonymous User
Not applicable
Hi,

Thanks for the tip. Hard reset went OK, and reconnection and sign-in went without a hitch.

But, I am sorry to say that the catch-up services are still a problem:

BBC I-Player times out
4OD plays intro ads and sponsor message but no programme
Demand 5 plays intro ads and sponsor message but no programme
ITV Player works fine

I purchased NOW TV to also access Sky Sports using the 24-hr pass system and this worked fine on Wed night.

The catch-up services are a major disappointment though, which is a shame. I'd gladly pay more money for a box which does all that it's supposed to do.

I have run out of ideas now.........