cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

error code 014

hi, ive tried everything i can think of but cant connect. keep getting error 014 . sorry for grammer on smart tv browser.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hello,

Give the following the instructions a go to fix this: NOW TV error 014 

Regards,

Michael

NOW TV Team

View solution in original post

524 REPLIES 524
Anonymous User
Not applicable

hi there

i done want its said on the site and it has not worked

can you help

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5
@Anonymous User

Welcome to the community.

Can you explain a bit more about your problem. Are you getting the 014 error when trying to connect the NOW TV Box to your network? Who is your ISP? When you say you've done what it says on the site, are you referring to disabling network pings?
Anonymous User
Not applicable
I'm on virgin virgin media broadband and is not connecting to my broadband I've tried everything and even changed everything, my broadband it's just not working what can you help

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5
@Anonymous User

The NOW TV box can be tricky to get working with a Virgin hub. Unfortunately it is a case of keep trying different troubleshooting steps until you finally get connected. Bear with it as people do seem to get it working in the end.

Make sure your NOW TV box isn't too far from the router. For instance if your router is downstairs and the TV you are setting it up with is upstairs, I would recommend moving the box to a downstairs TV to set it up with (you can always move it back after you've got it working).

The first thing is to make sure your NOW TV Box is now set to disable network pings, so can you check this.

This is done by calling up the 'Platform Secret Screen'. You do this by pressing the following buttons on the remote as quickly as you can

HOME button 5 times then
FF then PLAY then REW then PLAY then FF

Ignore the sounds and movements on the screen as they can be distracting (different menus and selections will appear on the screen while you press the remote keys) just concentrate on pressing the keys on the remote in the right order as quickly as you can. After a moment you will see a new screen pop up called Platform Secret Screen (if it doesn't appear after a moment or two, try again)

On the screen it will either say Enable network pings or Disbale network pings. If it says 'Enable network pings' you need to change this, so Use the direction arrow keys in the remote to move up to 'Enable network pings' and click OK so this changes to 'Disable network pings'

Then press the Back button on the remote to return to the home screen and you can try connecting to your local network again. (If you still have problems try removing the power cable from the back of the box and leaving for a minute or two before reconnecting and trying the set up of your box again).
Anonymous User
Not applicable
Done all all that and the box is next to the roter

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5
@Anonymous User

If you mean the box literally is next to the router that's probablymnot the best place for it, allow it a few feet distance if you can.

Check that your router is broadcasting on 2.4GHz as the NOW TV Box cannot connect to a purely 5GHz wireless network (if you haven't deliberately turned off the 2.4GHz network on your Virgin hub then there's no need to check, it will be fine).

You can then try restarting your router by powering down for a couple of minutes and then back up again. Do the same with your NOW TV Box and try connecting to the network again.

If that fails, try a hard reset of the NOW TV Box. With it powered up, push a pin or bent paper clip into the reset hole in the back until you see the box restart. Once that completes you will need to try connecting to the network again.

Some users have found that entering the wifi SSID (the name of your wireless network) manually works for them. To do this, instead of selecting your network from the list of names the box has scanned, select Private network instead. Then type in your wireless name (SSID) and password manually.

If none of this works, you might need to take the more drastic step of setting up a separate 2.4GHz guest network on your Virgin hub and connect the NOW TV Box to that network instead. It's not as scary as it sounds, but it does mean you'll need to go into your router's setup pages and make changes yourself.

You'll need to set up a 2.4GHz guest wireless network, with WPA2-PSK encryption. You can give the guest network SSID any name you want, but you might want to call it NOWTV for ease. Make the encryption password reasonably strong and write down what it is for later reference. Choose the option to broadcast SSID so your NOW TV Box can find it.

If you are unsure how to do this yourself, you can view a help article on setting this up by typing 'guest network' into the search box at

http://help.virginmedia.com

Or I would strongly recommend calling Virgin Media support and asking them to talk you through the setting up of a guest network.

Once you have a guest network set up, go to your NOW TV Box and Scan Again, it should now pick up the guest network you've created. Follow the steps to try connecting to it.
Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

sorry I've just noticed a typo in the message I gave above. It should read as follows

The first thing is to make sure your NOW TV Box is now set to disable network pings, so can you check this.

This is done by calling up the 'Platform Secret Screen'. You do this by pressing the following buttons on the remote as quickly as you can

HOME button 5 times then
FF then PLAY then REW then PLAY then FF

On the Platform Secret Screen it will either say Enable network pings or Disable network pings. If it says 'Disable network pings' you need to select this, so use the direction arrow keys in the remote to move up to 'Disable network pings' and click OK so this changes to 'Enable network pings'

Then press the Back button on the remote to return to the home screen and you can try connecting to your local network again. (If you still have problems try removing the power cable from the back of the box and leaving for a minute or two before reconnecting and trying the set up of your box again).

Sorry for any inconvenience.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi my box is ok. But I`m doing this for a friend , I have done the 5 home +forward+play+rewind+play+forward

the new page comes up, go back to signe in, But the first green light comes on the second light turns red, code 014 again.

done the reset button stared all over again, with the same result.

do you think the box is a dud.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous User 

Thanks for getting in touch.

It may also help if you restart your wireless router and at the same time make sure the NOW TV Box is unplugged. Once all the lights are back on the router, turn the Box on and try again. 

If the issue still persists, please ask your friend to contact us so we could get this looked in to.

Regards,

Birgit

NOW TV Team

Anonymous User
Not applicable
I have tried the homex5 etc but no good, I've now reset my NOW TV box only to be told it still can't connect to the internet & I get error message 014, any help ?.