Search

First Poster
pnxdave

buffering

i have a now tv box broadband running at 17mbs yet i still get buffering really annoying on sunday whilst watching the cupfinal dont think i will be forking out 9.99 for a day pass if they can't  sort this issue out as i am not the only one with this problem

NOW TV Team
Simon-J

Re: buffering

Hi pnxdave,

Thanks for posting,

Can I ask you to try the advice in this help article? In a lot of cases this has helped with buffering issues. If after this you’re still seeing the issue please come back to us and let us know and we’l endeavour to resolve this for you.

Thanks

Simon

NOW TV Team

First Poster
pnxdave

the screen says temp 30 rssi -6 snr 88 the now tv box is next to my hub

First Poster
pnxdave

oops clicked on accept answer by mistake:smileysurprised:

NOW TV Team
Simon-J

Hi pnxdave,

Thanks for coming back to us.

That's great that's the screen you need, please select ‘Disable Network Pings’ from the list of available options.

Once that's done try and play somthing to check the buffering, if you still see buffering issues firstly check back to that screen to esnure it now says "Enable network pings" rather than Disable, if it says enable please come back to us and we can offer further asistance.

Thanks

Simon

NOW TV Team

NOW TV Team
Simon-J

pnxdave wrote:

oops clicked on accept answer by mistake:smileysurprised:

Not to worry, I've changed that back for you now :smileyhappy:

Shaman
Daz_S

pnxdave wrote:

the screen says temp 30 rssi -6 snr 88 the now tv box is next to my hub

(my bold)

Is that a BT home hub?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Android - NOW TV puck - PS3 - Xbox 360
First Poster
pnxdave

yes the homehub 4 the ondemand i.e iplayer etc are fine no buffering just the now tv buffers

Shaman
Daz_S

[ Edited ]

I understand other methods of watching content are working fine, but if you want to try the following suggestions, this may help cure the buffering witnessed when watching Now TV content via the Now TV box (or a Roku box (ethernet equipped) if the user has not used an ethernet cable). Others have reported buffering that stops following my advice.

Anyway, here goes:smileywink:

Either copy the following text or keep this page open but don't refresh it!!

• Disconnect it from the modem (if used) or disconnect it from the line.
  • Remove any ethernet connected devices.
  • Press and hold the reset button (the one with the pin) for around 20 seconds.This restores the hub to a BNIB state.
  • Allow it to reboot and with a laptop or PC, connect this device to the hub via ethernet and log in to the hub.
  • Click advanced settings then the wireless tab
  • Select 2.4Ghz tab and change the encryption to WPA2 only
  • Type the wireless key back in if it goes blank
  • Click Apply
  • Select the 5Ghz tab and uncheck the sync with 2.4Ghz
  • On the 5Ghz SSID, add -5Ghz (so it will look like BThomehub4/5-****-5Ghz)
  • Click Apply
  • On the WPS tab click no on the top option and the bottom one should vanish
  • Click Apply
  • Select the Home Network tab
  • Click Smart Setup and click no
  • Click Apply
  • Click IP Address and change the lease time to 21 days, click apply
  • Click Firewall, then UPnP and select No, click apply
  • Connect the hub back to the connection and reconnect all devices

No guarantee it'll cure the NowTV box issue, but it works for me plus others that have changed the settings.
If you get stuck at any point, hit the reset button again to get back online, then let me know:smileywink:

• Install inSSIDer on a windows based laptop/PC or istumbler (MAC) or a wifi analyser for a mobile phone, then run this near to the box location.
  • Look for a channel with the least amount of congestion. Idealy channel 1, 6 or 11 to avoid wifi overlap - search for this if you're unsure what this is. Then select this channel on the hub.

If after the above and you still see buffering, try running a speed test and post up the results - http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/

Also, if you want to, click this link http://preferences.webaddresshelp.bt.com/selfcare/preferences.cgi and select disable, then click save. Then see if the buffering improves.

As a side note, I have opted out of BTWifi as I found the BT Wifi SSID's would affect my wifi too:smileysad:

edit. The distance where the box is located in relation to the hub may also cause buffering.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Android - NOW TV puck - PS3 - Xbox 360