Search

Rookie
hallergard
Accepted Solution

YouTube - add private channel to Roku

Would like to get YouTube on my NowTV box.  I understand that a possible way could be to add a private channel to Roku, but in order to do that I must register my device.  I got myself a Roku account.  For roku to link my device I must submit a "link code" from my TV.  I tried a factory reset to see if you could find a "link code" - but no.

Bottom line:  Can I register my NewTV box with Roku or not?

Novice
drgeoff

Re: YouTube - add private channel to Roku

Not currently and I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for a change.

If you want the features of a Roku box, get a Roku box. :smileytongue:

G2C
Colt
G2C

Youtube channel works very well on the NowTV box useing the "Plex (side load)work around" great for access to 4od YT programing too. Youtube clips can also be "pushed" to the Now tv box via the 'Playto' app and smart phone app but both ways require a computer as well to act as server. But yes "private channel from Roku" would be great on this 'Roku lite' box.

Rookie
hallergard

G2C Thanks! Will look into the 'Playto' app, but in the meantime what about Plex?  I have installed Plex - but how would that give me access to YouTube? And 4oD?

Rookie
hallergard

Yes, with PlayTo on my Nexus 7 it is possible to stream YouTube to my NowTV box.  Great, this was what I was after!

Still do not understand the Plex/YouTube alternative!?

G2C
Colt
G2C

As Plex is NOT an official Now TV box app 'yet' (but can be added) but IS an official Roku app so we 'can' mention it  here but advise that help for it should come from the Roku and Plex(extensive) help pages for now :smileywink: BTW 4od have their own 'Youtube channel' for catch up.

Rookie
hallergard

Thanks, have now got the Plex YouTube channel - even better!

How do I get 4oD onto my NowTV box?

G2C
Colt
G2C

For the Plex 4od Channel you need a mac computer(for now) due to various encodeing issues at 4od's end :smileysad: (explaind on Plex forums). Have you tried the (Sony)Crackle Plex Channel ? lots of good FREE movies and tv shows...Crackle is an official Roku app and with FREE content can and should be lobbyed to be added to the Now TV box :smileywink:

G2C
Colt
G2C

For 4od: "from plex yt channel": >Channels>>Search Channels>type in 4od>ok>and you are in!

Rookie
hallergard

Cannot find it.  Maybe I don't understand "yt" channel, because clicking Channels I don't get a choise anywhere of "Searching Channels" - Search yes - but no result