cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

NowTV Purple Screen No picture

Hi i've seen the post here

http://help.nowtv.com/HelpArticle?id=kA1G0000000CuoxKAC&topicKey=NOW_TV_Box|NOW%20TV%20Box|1&selecte...

Last modified 20 Nov 2013

that says the HDMI Lead is the problem ?

this is the lead that was provided with the NowTV Box so do we have to buy another lead ?

i have re-set the box still the same problem, internet speed is ok 20mb +

buying new leads wont solve the problem imo as i have other HDMI Shielded leads and HDMI Leads on my Sky box i have tried them all with the NowTV Box they all have the same problem ? when connected to the NowTV Box Purple screen no picture the Sound is ok.

Is there any ideas how to resolve it ?. numerous leads dont work

is it a Box Firmware problem ?

Thanks

168 REPLIES 168
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Why not connect the Now TV box direct and the Sky box through the switch and then see if you get the purple screen...?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Yes I could try that mate, although doesn't get away from inherent problem that seems to be with these boxes

Anonymous User
Not applicable

If it's very recent, all I can think of is that it could be something to do with the update....:|

Therefore it could:

• be that prior to the update, the Now TV box used to handshake with the TV and it could see the switch, XBox and the PS3 and thought Ok, none of the other devices can record content so I'll put the content up on the screen
  • be that after the update, the Now TV box tries to carry out a handshake with the TV but as it (still) sees the switch, XBox and PS3 it now doesn't either like any combination of powered down or up devices connected through the switch, or it could be something completely different..? - possibly a faulty switch...?

If you do try as I suggested and the Now TV box works, try with the other devices powered up and then down. If it doesn't still work try just the Now TV box on it's own, then after it (hopefully) works try inserting the HDMI cable from the switch to the TV.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi my post earlier in this thread works if you have a sky box and now tv. both get errors

nowtv the purple screen error and the sky box hdcp error

if you have now tv box only this works i've cured the purple screen on the tv upstairs many times now

the tv upstairs has nowtv only connected to it.and that gets the purple screen

you have your tv on

you turn it onto the hdmi1 - hdmi2 etc to watch the nowtv box

and you see the purple screen

do this

1. unplug the nowtv box. from the mains electric leave the hdmi lead alone.

2. turn your tv off with the power button this is important(dont use standby on the remote)

3.now power the nowtv box back up. the light on the box will flash. when its stopped flashing

wait a minute

4, power your tv back up with the power button. put the tv onto HDMI1 - HDMI2 etc

to view the nowtv box. the purple screen has gone.

P.S Just had the purple screen 10 mins ago again ^^ this fixed it.

Thanks

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I have tried all of the above options and nothing seems to have woprked for me. I have 2 now tv boxes and they all work fine on all my teles except the cheap 22" Alba in the Kitchen.

The TV has a built in DVD so is the nowtv box assuming I can record (which I can't, it's read only!) using that?

This is very frustrating and needs to be fixed.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

This is what I have found on the Roku forum about this...

"Your "Purple Screen of Death" on a Roku2 where the streamed video is purple but the sound still works is an indication that the content copy protection negotiation between the TV and the Roku has failed. I personally think they ought to put out a message, something like "Content Protection Failed" rather than a mono-color screen. But they don't so most people don't have a clue that the box is trying to tell them about their system. Apparently the Roku support people don't either...

There are three things that can affect this: The Roku2 is messed up, the HDCP wires in the HDMI cable are messed up, or the TV is messed up. Power cycling the power on the Roku2 will clear up its internal software (there is no state information about copy protect that survives power cycling that box). Assuming the cable is good (pretty good assumption) then the issue might be in the TV. Try unplugging the TV for 30 seconds or so then plugging it back in. I suggest unplugging because the power switch on modern TVs generally does not actually turn off the power to the processor in side the TV so it will not fully reset the TV's state."

As the nowtv is basically a cut down roku box I guess this applys to us as well.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

First of all,thanks to everyone for putting up,some solutions that may sort out this problem. Unfortunately none of these work for me,I understand all this copy protection stuff is needed but if you sell us a device with what you are calling a sub standard hdmi lead with an issue that  the device may not work on all tv`s then surely you are liable for selling it knowing it is "not fit for purpose" in all cases and theres a case to be had.

It will be alot quicker for me to sit here and send a few emails to see where i stand than spending the last 3 hours trying to get the thing to work

This is not acceptable! 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I got my NowTV box on Friday set it all up and the dreaded purple screen appeared. So it is currently WhenTV instead of NowTV. I have ordered a shielded HTMI cable from Amazon to see if that will fix it. But having read some of the comments on here my hopes aren't that high. I have no intention of buying a lot HDMI cables to try and get it too work.  Can't believe Sky are selling this product with such a serious flaw and i expected more from them. They Believe in Better after all.

Anonymous User
Not applicable
It very annoying. I have found it to only be a problem on my older type
dvd/tv combi devices. It might me a security problem or a sync problem but
it needs fixing. In the en to solve it I had to use the av connector, the
nokia n95 connector worked for me BUT you do loose quality when viewing it
this way.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

So, i`m right in thinking its a problem with my tv,im not updating my tv to suit this box,I guess from the zero help im recieving from NowTV,they dont care as ive bought the box and now im stuck with it?

Why dont you sort out the problem or at least let people know before they buy it?

Im now not happy at all and will be sending out emails to the right places,once i`ve done so if anyone else would like a list of where i have sent the emails to complain about their experiences then i`ll put them here,once enough noise has been made ,something will have to happen