cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

New NOW TV Box

With the reveal that a new NOW TV Box is coming this year, together with a refreshed UI, I though it would be a good idea to share some of our requests. So, with this in mind, here are a few of my own:

1. Roku 3 - The new box needs at least comparable power to a Roku 3. The current box performs less than satisfactory when using iPlayer or YouTube. Roku 3 components would ensure smooth running apps for at least a couple of years.

2. Reasonable price - I don't expect the new box to retail for the same price but at the same time, I wouldn't be prepared to pay more than £40. For a Roku 3 powered device that would represent good value.

3. New UI Features - The ability to flag favourite shows and easily access these ala iPlayer would be extremely welcome.

4. Better access to free channels - If you are going to give us sky news / sports for free with certain subscriptions, then why not just build them into the app. Either under a News & Sports section to complement the entertainment / sport packs or within the entertainment pack itself. Don't make me leave the app to catch the news bulletin and then have to load it again.

5. Refreshed News / Sports apps - If not the above, then how about some decent news / sport apps with access to on demand interviews etc for the latter.

6. No more glitches - I want all pictures to load in a decent resolution, the current UI leaves blank screens which looks ######.

7. HD - Enough said, give us the option to stream channels in at least 720p

So, there's mine for now, how about yours?
49 REPLIES 49
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@ConorButters as mentioned above, we don't know that it will be a Roku but I personaly think it is pretty much guarenteed given Sky's investment and the fact that similar boxes have been launched in Germany and will be in Italy in the near future. 

A youview sytle box is far less likely. Sky is a satelitte TV provider and offereing a Freeview plus IPTV solution is only going to canibalise their existing satelite customer base and actually limit their market far more unless they were to also offer a freesat version. In addition, the increased cost of such a box would undoubtedly harm the takeup of NowTV.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

A Now TV box with an ethernet connection and for Nowtv to stream content in HD, for me would be brill.  Currently the nowtv box just allows wifi connection, and,  streams in sub-standard SD (in my opion)  (and maybe this will still be the case in 5 years time!!) however I would not want to wait 5 years before Nowtv streamed content in HD!   In 5 years time I expect Netflick will be streaming 8K content!   I want to use my 100 meg broadband watching movies and content in glorious HD!!   Anyone from NowTv listening?

Jan

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi  @Anonymous User 

Thanks for sharing all the great suggestions you have. NOW TV is always working on ways to improve our services. We are currently looking into some of the suggestions you have made and more. Please keep an eye out for future updates. 

Kind regards

Aman

NOW TV

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I see why people are asking for an Ethernet option, but please if you do that let it be an option, not replace the wireless connectivity.

I would not be able to connect solely via Ethernet (I am sure about that before anyone mentions Homeplugs 😉 ) and it's only due to the wireless that i'm able to enjoy Now TV. I don't require HD viewing I am happy with the SD delivered via wireless.

So pretty please don't take it away! Smiley Tongue

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5
@Anonymous User

I wouldn't worry, the NOW TV Box is almost certainly going to be based on a Roku of some sort, and they are all wireless, I can't see any streaming device that doesn't have wifi being launched these days.
commanda6
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Andy wrote:
@Anonymous User

I wouldn't worry, the NOW TV Box is almost certainly going to be based on a Roku of some sort, and they are all wireless, I can't see any streaming device that doesn't have wifi being launched these days.

@Anonymous User and @Andy 

At no point have I ever said that they should take Wi-Fi away. Smiley Happy In some cases Wi-Fi is perfectly fine. But in some cases an ethernet connection is needed. So people should have the option.

@Andy Have you seen that I've updated the information on The following Smiley Very Happy

I do not work for Now . I am simply a Now customer trying to help I am a Community Contributor This means that I know a lot about the service. But just like you I am still a customer. This means I cannot help you with issues that would involve looking into your account directly. A member of the now TV forum team or live chat will need to assist you with these issues.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Would love to see a remote with the headphone feature that is available on the Roku3.  Got the Roku3 earlier this year, and never realised what a good feature it is until I had it.  For someone like me that works shifts, so am often watching TV when the rest of the family are sleeping, it is a great addition.

Kind of get the idea NowTV may be running down stock of old box just now, but will definitely be looking at adding a NowTV box if it is a good improvement when the next box launches. 

Anyone got any idea on a timeframe though? 

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5
@Anonymous User

There's been no announcements, any guesses would just be that. Have to agree with you the headset remote is a genius idea, although I'd suspect Roku would want to keep that feature to themselves ... We can hope though! 🙂
SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

An ethernet port, multi-channel Dolby Digital audio output, 1920x1080 video output. And the ability to output a 50Hz video signal for UK/EU content...

Cheers

Anonymous User
Not applicable

For my pie in the sky never going to happen hopes for the next now TV box and improved service..

720p live channels with stereo audio like Apple TV currently. (think that is a fair compromise on cost/bandwidth etc)

1080p with 5.1 DD+ audio for On Demand content

(As a fair compromise I think) The closing off of the new box completely unless you have an active Now TV sub.. And THEN allowing Netflix AND Amazon to the fold. After all it wouldn't be any problem for Sky then letting others in, as long as they get their money first each month.. (told you pie in the sky hopes!)

A proper "add to watchlist" facility, seperated for both TV and movies for content on the service.

The integration of Roku's newly announced "My feed" system to track films as they move from cinema to the major services, Sky Movies, Amazon, Netflix and Pay Per Rent.

The moon on a stick..