cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

New NOW TV Box

With the reveal that a new NOW TV Box is coming this year, together with a refreshed UI, I though it would be a good idea to share some of our requests. So, with this in mind, here are a few of my own:

1. Roku 3 - The new box needs at least comparable power to a Roku 3. The current box performs less than satisfactory when using iPlayer or YouTube. Roku 3 components would ensure smooth running apps for at least a couple of years.

2. Reasonable price - I don't expect the new box to retail for the same price but at the same time, I wouldn't be prepared to pay more than £40. For a Roku 3 powered device that would represent good value.

3. New UI Features - The ability to flag favourite shows and easily access these ala iPlayer would be extremely welcome.

4. Better access to free channels - If you are going to give us sky news / sports for free with certain subscriptions, then why not just build them into the app. Either under a News & Sports section to complement the entertainment / sport packs or within the entertainment pack itself. Don't make me leave the app to catch the news bulletin and then have to load it again.

5. Refreshed News / Sports apps - If not the above, then how about some decent news / sport apps with access to on demand interviews etc for the latter.

6. No more glitches - I want all pictures to load in a decent resolution, the current UI leaves blank screens which looks ######.

7. HD - Enough said, give us the option to stream channels in at least 720p

So, there's mine for now, how about yours?
49 REPLIES 49
Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

Oops, looks like they didn't mean that news to slip out! Well I don't think we will be seeing TechRadar's suggestion of 4K support for a start! 😄

http://www.techradar.com/news/television/sky-to-launch-new-now-tv-box-in-2015-will-we-finally-get-hd...

But yes, live streaming in 720p would be good. I'd quite like to see a wired Ethernet option on the box as well. And cosmetically black would be preferable to white.

Other than that tweaks to the UI would be nice ... I agree it's some sort of bookmarking or watch list facility.

Subtitle support would always be welcome, but that will probably come when it comes rather than appear alongside a new box.

Little things like the ability to turn off those 'swooshing' noises when moving through content would be welcome. So would presenting content in a grid rather than one row to make navigation quicker. Being able to hyperlink around similar content would be great, e.g clicking on directors or actors to see related content.

Probably keeping the current £10 box alongside a more expensive new version.
commanda6
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User 

Where did you find out this information? I haven't heard anything and I'm usually pretty good at finding out about this sort of thing.

You do make some good points.

On point 7 , though. There may be significant technical reasons why now TV can't provide the live channels in 720p. Particularly with the current NowTV box as its Wi-Fi only.

It's important to remember that live content cannot be optimised for Web streaming. Which means it takes more bandwidth to stream live content than it does on demand content. Also remember that live content cannot be buffered in advance, so any connection fluctuation could potentially lead to loss of the video stream.

This means that realistically if there were a new now TV box and it was able to stream live channels in 720p it would need an ethernet connection to do so in order to make sure that the connection is stable enough. This is part of the reason why the Apple TV gets 720p live channels and other devices don't at the moment. I'm not saying it's not possible it's just not as simple as you might think. Smiley Happy

I do not work for Now . I am simply a Now customer trying to help I am a Community Contributor This means that I know a lot about the service. But just like you I am still a customer. This means I cannot help you with issues that would involve looking into your account directly. A member of the now TV forum team or live chat will need to assist you with these issues.
commanda6
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Andy Beats me to it againSmiley Very Happy

I do not work for Now . I am simply a Now customer trying to help I am a Community Contributor This means that I know a lot about the service. But just like you I am still a customer. This means I cannot help you with issues that would involve looking into your account directly. A member of the now TV forum team or live chat will need to assist you with these issues.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

It's from this PDF https://corporate.sky.com/documents/investors/results/2015/q2-presentation-.pdf

Page 46 has

Pushing harder with NOW TV in 2015
• Maintain sales momentum
• Increase marketing support with brand campaign
• Upgrade user interface and experience
• Leverage best ever content line-up
• Launch next-generation NOW TV Box

Also intesting to see "NOW TV transactions trebled" on page 19.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Andy I agree, ethernet would be a good option although realistically this is not something I would use for my box which is in our bedroom away from the phone socket. 

A grid based layout for content would also be preferable, something mirroring the main Roku interface perhaps? I doubt they would have a problem with this given that Sky is a major investor. This sort of layout would speed up navigation no end as opposed to the rather tiresome one line navigation used at the moment. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable
I wonder if this has any relation to the now tv box being sold out on now tv.com
Anonymous User
Not applicable

I think as @Andy says, a lot of what customers would want from a new box is more service dependent.  The main thing for me is that the box is equipped to deliver these improvements as & when they come along.  It would be good if some service improvements could be tied in with the release of the box as something's going to be needed to tempt existing customers to fork out for a new one, for me, the obvious one would be subtitles and it being in blackSmiley Happy.  @ConorButters , I reckon the old box now being out of stock is very much to do with the new one... 

Anonymous User
Not applicable
Will it be based on the roku 1?
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Probably based on the Roku 3 according to Engadget's website