cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Additional settings for Virgin Media Superhub

If when setting up your box it fails at the  'connect to local network' stage using a VM superhub you can try changing the  following 'network ping' setting. 

(Unfortunately this 'fix' has not been given in the instruction leaflet and may not always be suggested by some of the chatline help staff).

Press the HOME button on the remote 5 times followed by one press of FF,PLAY, REW, PLAY and finally FF.

You should now see displayed one of the  hidden ('secret') menu pages and need to scroll down the blue line and deselect 'enable network pings' box at bottom of screen.

Finally, scroll the blue line down to 'Back' and select - the box should then connect correctly and work with a Virgin Superhub.

24 REPLIES 24
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Great fix thanks.

Had to try it a few times before it worked, but just tried it with both on off ping settings and works fine now.

Thanks again

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thank you so much. Spent several frustrating minutes putting in password over and over and moving now tv box around room then decided to 'ask google'. Found this information straight away. Only thing is as Huge321 says need to point out this needs doing from the screen showing the list of available connections. But brilliant, I'm so grateful.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

This was super helpful! Also for those of you that still struggle try refreshinging your virigin media attached devices in the advanced section this then worked for me.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I had vm superhub 2 installed two weeks ago and now tv did work fine until today. I try to connect and I get a green tick for "your wireless network" and "your local network" but I get a red cross at "the internet" then error code 009.

I then go to the secret screen and I try enable pings It then fails at "your local network" so I go to the secret again and then disable pings and I try again, and it fails at "the internet". Ive also tried different channels on the vm supehub 2, manual and auto. I've reset the vm hub as well amd tried all of the above and I still can't get it to work. I've reset the now tv box and thren gone through it all again amnd still I get the same result. So, I go through it all again amd again and still no result. Ive also done all the switching off of all other wifi devices in the house then reset vm hub, amd then only switch on now tv first, I go through all the set up and still the same problem. All my other devices connect mo problem and yet still have big problem in getting anywhere with the now tv box. Annoyed is am understatementand I've no idea what to do next except condemn the now tv box as no good anymore.

Someone at now tv please help me out, your customer service has been great to me previously, please don't let me down now!

Sean

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Well after all that I did some more research and then set up a "2.4ghz first guest wireless network" on my virgin media superhub 2...

Click advanced settings

Click on the 2.4ghz first guest wirless network

Tick the box for enable 2.4ghz first guest wireless network

In she said box type in what you want, I typed nowtv

Choose your passphrase

Click apply amd confirm

Then just go back to your nowtv box, rescan for network,select the one you just gave a new name for enter your passphrase you just gave as well and away you go, if it dont work first time then do the disable pings thing that's been mentioned previously ( 5 x home, then ff, play, rw, play, ff) and all should be ok

Sean

Anonymous User
Not applicable

The box will disable any connection after you have set up your first wireless connection. You have to enable connection to reset.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Same problem as others ie could not connect to my new Virgin superhub although it was fine on the previous Virgin router. Did the fix as suggested and Yay I'm connected! Thanks v much, a very happy bunny here!
Anonymous User
Not applicable

I never had problems until recently when despite having the correct password, my Now tv box wouldn't connect to my virgin media superhub.

And even though I was well within range, it mostly wouldn't even pick up my router, and I tried the ping setting several times without joy.

But eventually I got it working by doing the following. ...

I downloaded the Wifi Analyzer app from the app store, to see what channel my router was transmitting on, and saw it was on channel 13, and looking at other people's wifi transmitting channels I saw that there was one or two other people around also on the same channel number so obviously these were conflicting with mine.

I Logged into my superhub and saw it was on Auto channel select, number 13, I changed this to a channel number which was different from what the other people around were transmitting on and after saving this new Channel number I turned off the now tv box and tried again... Success !

In the wifi Analyzer app you will see from a list what channels the other routers around are on and you can then pick a channel number different from these so that their routers don't then conflict with yours.

I hope this information helps other readers as this was driving me crazy, I almost ditched the Now tv box until I then tried the above solution.

If your router is transmitting on the same Channel as others around you then you can have problems, with decreased speed so changing it to a different one is highly advisable to get the full potential out of your router.

I really hope I have helped you ?  Good luck. 

Gavin

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I cannot get to the secret menu. Home x5 ff play re play ff does nothing. Also cannot get to the engineers menu. Power button holding up and down so cannot change any settings.
Have also tried the first guest on the router and this also fails to do anything.
My TiVo is on the latest firmware anyone have any ideas what to do to get to the secret menu now? Or how to fix this problem? I get the error code 014 on the NowTV box
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous User

Thanks for your post.

You need to try this quite quickly, otherwise you won't be able to access the menu. Try these steps here once more.

Birgit

NOW TV Team