Search
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

First Poster
Samstar

4OD and BBC iPlayer Problems - Connecting to service and programs stuttering

Now TV has been nothing but problems for us since we first installed it. Problems even connecting to the BBC iPlayer and then consistent issues on 4OD with program streams getting stuck and stuttering over and over again on the same second of video. When attempting to pause or skip the feed on it just resets to the start.

Our box is about 6 feet from our router and has a direct line of sight between the two boxes. Attempting to run feeds directly from a laptop using the same wireless connection from the same place work fine. The connection speed is about 30mb (actual measurable throughput from speedtest.net) with a ping rate of about 21 ms. The connection is fine, the router is solid the Now TV box is exceptionally poor.

Having browsed the forums here I can see many other people reporting very similar issues if not exactly the same. I have tried the suggestions made here ( generic hoops to jump through). I even found a post from one support person suggesting that they were too close to the router! Before anyone from support tries the usual BS responses take time to pause (like your service does without being asked to!). I have:

• Reset the Now TV box
  • Reset the router
  • Checked the speed of the connection (30mb download with a 21ms ping)
  • Disconnected all other devices using the network
  • Tried streaming the same programs from another device via a browser (works fine)

My conclusion is that the Now TV box is a the fault. The internet connection is fine and the servers providing the feeds are operating as expected.

I'm not really expecting anything other than the usual generic responses from support but needless to say I won't be paying for any passes or movies until this is sorted. I'll give it one week for a resolution to be found then freecycle the box to any poor sucker that wants to try it.

NOW TV Team (Retired)
Char-A

Re: 4OD and BBC iPlayer Problems - Connecting to service and programs stuttering

Hi @Samstar ,

Thanks a lot for getting in touch with us regarding this.

I'm not here to give you any troubleshooting.

My suggestion is to get another NOW TV Box if your current is fault.

You can return your box freepost to us and we can send you out another if you wish and this can be arrange right away.

If you do decide to do this we'll await your response to see if you have the same issue.

If you do not wish to replace we understand. 

You've experienced a frustrating time and we'd be happy to help you with this also.

Thanks a lot.

Char

NOW TV Team

First Poster
dave_in_mcr

Re: 4OD and BBC iPlayer Problems - Connecting to service and programs stuttering

I have just bought a Now TV box today and upon viewing programmes on 4OD I have found exactly the same thing - it plays fine for a few minutes and then reaches a point at which it stutters and gets stuck on repeat.  Like your case, any attempts I make to try to fast forward or rewind playback end in the programme restarting....

Really frustrated as I had feared this might happen with streaming TV services.

Have you had any joy in resolving this?

NOW TV Team (Retired)
Adrian-B

Hi dave in mcr.

Thanks for your post.

Are you still having this experience? It may be that you have a faulty box.

We would like you offer you an exchange.

You can return your box to us and we can send you out another if you wish and this can be arrange right away.

If you do decide to do this we'll await your response to see if you have the same issue.

At the moment we are looking into why this is happening to certain apps on the NOW TV Box, but we may not have the answer for this for a while.

Kind Regards

Adrian

NOW TV Team

First Poster
dave_in_mcr

Hi Adrian,

Thanks for your email. I suspect that the issue has now been resolved and
that it was with the 4OD software rather than the Now TV box.

I'll stick with this one for now.

Many thanks.

David

First Poster
SCattysmum

[ Edited ]

I'm having the same problems with just about everything now.. My internet connection is fine (34MBPS wireless) but all of the apps now seem to be unable to stream anything.. I have tried iPlayer, 4oD, Demand 5 and Tunein Radio. I know that I am getting to the internet fine, because I can get past the main menus, it just won't play anything, not even radio. Phone, tablets PC all fine, my router homepage shows a robust internet connection.

This box probably worked for a couple of weeks, and now is not doing anything

Mentor 5
StuartRogerson

Can you please reset your box by pushing a paper clip into the hole above the power inlet. If this fails to resolve the issue please switch off your router by removing the power cable and then reinserting it. One of these two actions will in normal circumstance fix your issue.
grumble15

Experience the same problems with 4 od and 5 on demand. They just crash at certain points into the program. No issues watching these programs on any other devices. I have two now tv boxes and the fault is the same. I have exhausted all help from now tv. I can only conclude that the now tv box isnt up to the task and will be looking elsewhere

First Poster
SCattysmum

Hi,

Hasn't worked. I've re-set it.. eventually got it to see my router, got as
far as Now TV login in & it won't stay on the wifi connection. Definitely
not router or broadband problem (new hi-speed router & connection), did
speedtest (official BT one), with tablet, next to box & got 37Mbps wireless
broadband speed

Any other ideas?

Mentor 2
GraphiteGB

[ Edited ]

@grumble15

Now TV box is able to run the apps fine at other peoples locations.

4oD app is not unstable.

4oD just has bad quality controll on Content files uploaded to the HTML5 app...

This is effecting all Players most of the time with the app not just NowTV. Users with secondary device like PS3 get the same fault on the same episode... That a server side fault with the content data... 

One episode of a series will be fine but another episode will have broken data stream...

This has only started after they started providing Roku devices with the service...

Adding roku Box support has destroyed the QC of 4oD...

As for BBC Iplayer the orignal app in the topic title. It works with no errors here on my NowTV box. its got a mega slow interface yes but the fuctions are the same as the PS3 version, just a lot slower GUI... the reason to bring it up is ...

Demand5 Uses the SAME exact frame work as BBC IPlayer... just modified GUI to display different content being only SD...

Yep you can cancel and get a refund but what ever is effecting the Demand5 will remain hidden and later could effect other services...

Running Windows 10 preview, Kubuntu 14.10, and Android 4.4
Sony Computer Entertainment Europe Beta Tester PS3 and PS4...
Now running Kindle fire TV Box With Chrome and a USB Mouse...