cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

connecting to the internet

Hi

Can anybody help me? Just bought the Now Tv box which works fine wireless but trying to connect it via the ether net cable via a BT power Li e adaptor and it will not connect to the local network. Keeps saying the router or access point is not may be restricting access error code 013.50. My router is a BT hub 5 and our BT player works just fine using the same ethernet cable so I'm stumped! I've tried the secret platform and disabled the pings but still have same error. If anyone can help that would be great. Thanks
10 REPLIES 10
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User wrote:
Hi

Can anybody help me? Just bought the Now Tv box which works fine wireless but trying to connect it via the ether net cable via a BT power Li e adaptor and it will not connect to the local network. Keeps saying the router or access point is not may be restricting access error code 013.50. My router is a BT hub 5 and our BT player works just fine using the same ethernet cable so I'm stumped! I've tried the secret platform and disabled the pings but still have same error. If anyone can help that would be great. Thanks

@Anonymous User

Firstly is this the NowTV black box with the Ethernet port on the back ?

Make sure in the box settings that you select the Ethernet option not WiFi option.

With the BT homehub have you disabled smart setup ?

Recommend disabling smart setup on the BT Router (see info below how to switch off smart setup).

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44328/~/switching-smart-setup-on-and-off-on-the-bt-home-hub-4-or-hub-5

Also whilst you are in the Router settings under Network devices press the Refresh button towards the top of the screen.

SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User wrote:
...trying to connect it via the ether net cable via a BT power Li e adaptor and it will not connect to the local network. Keeps saying the router or access point is not may be restricting access error code 013.50... 

Was the BT 'poweline' adaptor previously supplied for use with BT's own YouView box? If so it might be paired exclusively for use with their equipment Smiley Surprised

Anonymous User
Not applicable
Hi thanks for replying but I've just managed to solve the problem. Thanks again.
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User wrote:
Hi thanks for replying but I've just managed to solve the problem. Thanks again.

@Anonymous User

Glad you managed to sort your issue out.

Just curious out of interest how did you resolve it.

Anonymous User
Not applicable
My BT power adaptor needed to be reset and linked up again. Thus solved the problem.☺

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Help please.  I have a new black NowTV box curently on 14-day trial.  I'm having trouble connecting by Ethernet to my TalkTalk router (model HG633).  I can connect fully by Wi-Fi (no problems) but when I put the Ethernet cable in and choose "Connect to wired network" the first-step gives a green-tick, then a delay for 30-sec and the next-step gives a red-cross and error 013.50.

I have signed-in to the TalkTalk router and it shows "Lan3=Connected full 100 Mbps", and the NowTV ethernet connector has a green-led and quick-flash-orange led.

FWIW I have also done the 'disable ping' that has been suggested.  My Ethernet-cable is working with my laptop without problems (I'm connected to it to send this message).

Any ideas?  I know I can connect by Wi-Fi, but I really want to connect by Ethernet.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hey @Anonymous User

Sorry to hear your having some problems.

Let's see if we can fix this for you.

Connect to your WI-FI first, then perform a system update by doing this step.

Once updated. repeat the step again and then try to connect via your Ethernet.

Fingers crossed.

Andy

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I did as you suggest. System was already 7.0.9566 but I continued to update anyway. No change in Ethernet problem.

Since I spotted the 'Reset to factory' I decided to do that, followed by another Ethernet connection attempt. No change in Ethernet problem (stalls at second step).  Having done this I again did "Software Update" again (by Wi-Fi of course).

I didn't bother doing the 'disable ping' process after the 'reset' as I assume that's not the problem.

Any further help you can give me? as my fingers are getting sore being crossed this long 🙂

Anonymous User
Not applicable

....further tests:

I have moved the NowTV box to my other home internet line (BT Infinity - Hub5, that I connect with 30Mtr Cat5e cable only).

In this case the NowTV box has connected by Ethernet successfully.  Thus, to save you time, I will now take this aspect up with TalkTalk to see what help they can give regarding their 'HG633' router!  I now presume their 'super router' firmware is at fault regarding Ethernet connections.

If I get an answer I will share this with you.

Thanks for your help.