cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Unable to stream, buffering constantly.

Ugh this is so frustrating! Trying to watch Game of Thrones on my Now TV box and it's buffering constantly and won't play more than a second or two. The internet test runs fine, I've tried unplugging it and plugging back in, I've tried playing other programmes and I keep getting the same thing. It just keeps spinning, occasionally throwing me back to the Now TV start screen. Really we invested in the Now TV box because the picture quality from the Xbox 360 app was so poor, and we were initially pleased with the quality, but now this! Any ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous User
Not applicable
You could try this

Home. (x5)
Fast Forward.
Play.
Rewind.
Play.
Fast Forward.

If the above is done correctly, you’ll see a new screen pop up called ‘Platform Secret Screen’ which will display two green bars and four further options. Please select ‘Disable Network Pings’ from the list of available options.

Once you’ve done this, simply click back on your remote control until you reach the connection setup page, and attempt to connect to a network.

View solution in original post

74 REPLIES 74
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Let's start with the most obvious - how far is your Now TV box from your router?

If it's right next to it, move it so it's around 8 inches away.

If it's further than, say 2 foot, could you move it to within that distance.

Both suggestions could help pinpoint the cause.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

The router, which is a good router, is in the hallway and is 15 feet at most away, and I have a steady 15 meg connection. To be honest I'm loathe to blame my set-up here, I can stream from other devices much further away. I'm still finding that if I try and stream anything, it buffers before playing and I only get a few seconds of play before it buffers again. What's going on??

Anonymous User
Not applicable
You could try this

Home. (x5)
Fast Forward.
Play.
Rewind.
Play.
Fast Forward.

If the above is done correctly, you’ll see a new screen pop up called ‘Platform Secret Screen’ which will display two green bars and four further options. Please select ‘Disable Network Pings’ from the list of available options.

Once you’ve done this, simply click back on your remote control until you reach the connection setup page, and attempt to connect to a network.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Worked a dream this for me, As soon as the pings were disabled everything works.

Do we know why pings being enabled would have caused buffering issues?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I tried to follow the instructions on my remote for TV downstairs it didn't work i also have a smart TV LG streaming now tv upstairs i can't follow the instructions on how to stop the buffering on my lg remote either. This has been like this for a few weeks now. Who can help with this

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I have had this issue before with other Apps, on mine and another peoples TV's.

I have had this issue with the NOWTV App, on my BT Youview Box and LG TV.

I prove it was happing on both, then fixed it on my TV, then proved it was still happening on the BT Box, then fixed that also.

In short, it seems to be some apps get upset and don't work correctly until you do a full power down of the device.

1/ Turn your device off and disconnect it from the mains power (unplug the power from the mains).

2/ Wait at least 2 minutes.

3/ Plug the device back into the mains and power on the device.

4/ Go into you App and run as normal. You may get a buffer at the start of what you are watching, then should go OK from that point.

This has work for me all the time I have seen App issues in the past.

P.S. It's not just the Now TV App...... Good Luck and Hope all works for you.. Mine is now working Fine... Missed the start of the England game..... 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Jfk80,

Thanks for getting in touch with your post, sorry to hear that you're having issues with the NOW TV Box.

Please check out these troubleshooting steps which should resolve the ongoing problem.

I hope that this helps.

Regards,

Michael

NOW TV Team

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I seem to have the same problem, since four/five days ago. For some reason, if I try to watch a programme from my iPad, I have no issue whatsoever; from the NOW TV box, it constantly starts and stop every few seconds. Any ideas?
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Mine is a brand new box and it is doing exactly the same, constantly buffering, will not even load iPlayer, picture quality when it does work is nothing short of crapp! Hardly HD!