cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

The box only displays 640x480 after the new update

As per the title, the update has caused the box to stop outputting 1920x1200. Changing manually between 720/16:9 in the settings does nothing and it will only display at 640x480.

I'm guessing it is something to do with the fact I am using an HDMI to DVI converter to watch on a monitor, but it worked fine until this update broke it. Is there a way to roll back to the last firmware version, I would prefer to do that as the layout in this update is crap anyway.

55 REPLIES 55
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Same issue. Never had a problem with the white box but in the last few days I suddenly have a squashed 4:3 picture. Simple HDMI connection to TV.
Simon-J
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Anonymous User,

Thanks for posting.

Please take a look at @Anonymous User's suggestion on the next page of this topic and let us know how you get on.

Thanks

Simon

NOW TV Team

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I have a white NowTV box connected via the Now TV AV Cable as my TV does not have a HDMI port and everything was working fine until the recent update which my box applied 5 days ago.

Now the streaming quality is total rubbish and pixelated and breaks up on action scenes. Trying to watch the latest episode of GOT was a nightmare and had to give up.

Also the new front page is too big to fit on the screen and a third is missing on the right hand side.

I have accessed the hidden settings for screen resolution but the option for '1080p HD TV' is not there.  It was on the previous software and that's the setting my TV was working on and the streaming quality was fine.

I await a response from NowTV support, I did a chat session 48 hours ago and nobody has bothered to contact me, even though it was referred to 2nd line support.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Got a reply from Technical support who haven't bothered to read the problem correctly.

Reset router, remove cables and hard re-set Now TV box and then try different HDMI cable. 

Not using HDMI cable!

Possible option is to buy a mini USB HDMI to AV converter with power supply, decent RCA cable & RCA to scart converter.

USB HDMI to AV

USB Power Supply

RCA Cable

RCA to Scart

However will all that work and allow the box to output at 1080p ?

If they's only sort the Entertainment service on the Youview platform then I wouldn't have this issue as could stop using the Now TV box, (unless they fix the software update.)

SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User wrote:

However will all that work and allow the box to output at 1080p ? 

Given you're using the 'white' boxes composite video output you're only ever going to obtain a video resolution of around 576i (interlaced). Because that's all a composite video connection is capable of offering!

If you want more resolution, you need to have a display that has HDMI inputs 😉

EDIT: By-the-way... Unless you're going to spend serious money, all of those 'HDMI-to-AV' (composite video) converters offer very poor quality images and audio.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Don't want more resolution, want it back to how it was before this flawed update.

Service was perfectly fine before the box updated and there was a setting for 1080 output of which the box did output a much better image then it does now post update.

Not an option to obtain a HDMI TV at the moment.