cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

BBC IPLAYER PROBLEM

IVe just signed into my new black box, it did all its updates, tried BBC Iplayer, but no option to spect HD, I went into settings/ video quality & it was on SD, the option above is normally HD, but it says Best Quality. I selected this, reset Iplayer & watched a programme, doesn't look HD & when you press down, there is no HD/SD tab (like one 3 white now TV boxes) it just says info/Subtitles.
301 REPLIES 301
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User it's not a "problem" but a feature. This is the new way the BBC handle the video streams, by selecting Best Quality you get the highest version they believe your internet is able to achieve.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User@Anonymous User

Just tried iPlayer on Roku HDMI Streaming Stick and NOWTV Black Box

Streaming Stick shows HD whereas Black Box shows Best Quality

Anonymous User
Not applicable

They should bring back 3 options again as my picture quality on iPlayer HD setting on the white box is better than the black box Best Quality - the picture looks odd to as if the frame rate has been reduced.

It's such a shame that they couldn't leave it as it was as it runs superbly now on the new black box and would have been perfect, but as usual they just seem to mess about with stuff for the sake of it.

If they are intent of having a variable setting then why not also include the option of HD for people who have the broadband for that.

They should have included 'Standard Definition, Best Quality and HD Quality' - so at least we have a choice.

The picture quality isn't bad but it is a step backwards !

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I totaly agree, Best quality doesn't look as good as HD option on the old white box. We should have a set HD option, ive got 152MB internet via VM. more than fast enough for 4k streams.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Won't be coming back...

Iplayer has been UPDATED for the Black box and is now Mirroring the same features as the Quad core 2GB HDTV box devices ... like FireTV becuase the Black box currently can run the same App...

Adaptive bit rate uses "PING" time not just "Bit rate" to select the feeds... so some one with 1Gb but 1000ms time is going to get the lower feed were as the 10Mb/s 10ms is going to get the Higher quality feed for example...

Due to the Low CPU Power of the NowTV "white" box Its likely to be legacy app support level... As the BBC Iplayer Frame work Craws along on the White box so won't have the most upto date frame work...

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User wrote:

Won't be coming back...

Iplayer has been UPDATED for the Black box and is now Mirroring the same features as the Quad core 2GB HDTV box devices ... like FireTV becuase the Black box currently can run the same App...

Adaptive bit rate uses "PING" time not just "Bit rate" to select the feeds... so some one with 1Gb but 1000ms time is going to get the lower feed were as the 10Mb/s 10ms is going to get the Higher quality feed for example...

Due to the Low CPU Power of the NowTV "white" box Its likely to be legacy app support level... As the BBC Iplayer Frame work Craws along on the White box so won't have the most upto date frame work...

... and this perfectly explains everything what is wrong with the new adaptive bit rate of the BBC app on this particular device.

If i can watch BBC channels on my white box in HD but not on my black box then there is something wrong !

Either it's a very poorly programmed app or the adaptive bitrate doesn't offer HD playback anymore.

This is a step backwards, but i understand they won't change back as that is admitting they were wrong which is 'never' an option.

It's just so frustrating knowing that they have removed an option which worked perfectly well even though it is a very badly designed app which i personally blame on this 'All In One' app culture which seems to have taken place of any common sense just so it can be made for a touch screen device too.

The BBC used to make amazing apps but they are terrible now, the Weather app is the only good one left.

commanda6
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi all @Anonymous User

The BBC has changed the way they handle HD on iPlayer from now on if you want HD in iPlayer you need to go to the settings menu in iPlayer and select "best quality" iPlayer should then give you 720p HD if it considers your Internet connection to be good enough.

The BBC are slowly rolling out this change across all devices

Hope that helps Smiley Happy

I do not work for Now . I am simply a Now customer trying to help I am a Community Contributor This means that I know a lot about the service. But just like you I am still a customer. This means I cannot help you with issues that would involve looking into your account directly. A member of the now TV forum team or live chat will need to assist you with these issues.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@commanda6 wrote:

Hi all @Anonymous User

The BBC has changed the way they handle HD on iPlayer from now on if you want HD in iPlayer you need to go to the settings menu in iPlayer and select "best quality" iPlayer should then give you 720p HD if it considers your Internet connection to be good enough.

The BBC are slowly rolling out this change across all devices

Hope that helps Smiley Happy

Hi @commanda6

Yes i understand they have made the changes and i already have the setting on 'Best Quality' but surely if they make changes they are to improve on the service they are providing making use of the better / speedier technology they are designed to run on.

So the question is why can i watch in HD on my white box but not on my black box ? It just doesn't make any sense to remove options to provide a worse service.

I understand i may be coming across obtuse, but it just doesn't make sense and frustrates the hell out of me when companies make such poor decisions. The technology is actually in place, but the software has been downgraded so it is no longer an option to playback in HD even though my broadband speed allows this and it is due to a badly programmed app automatically saying my broadband isn't up to it or they are hiding the fact that HD has been removed.

Did anyone actually complain to the BBC and say they would prefer two playback options instead of three, very unlikely.

A bad decision in my opinion, and i'm sorry but my frustration is aimed at whoever made this change to the app.

Edit: I would however just like to add that regardless of my frustrations with the BBC iPlayer app changes, i think the New Black Box is superb and have now bought another one due to the fact that the Now TV service is excellent and wouldn't want to put anyone off buying one cause they are awesome value for money.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

"Best quality" has now arrived on my white box.

Thumbs down, I'll be feeding back my disappointment to the BBC and I suggest others do the same.