cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

NowTV output too large for CRT?

Since the iPlayer app updated, most of it's menu options are displayed off the top, or off to the left of my CRTs screen, making it almost impossible to use.

Are there any settings I can tweak to reduce the picture size of the NowTV output, or am I out of luck? TV works fine with DVD player and Freeview stb, and I've tried all of the TV's aspect ratios.

Cheers, Ben

28 REPLIES 28
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Ok - looks like it IS  a setting my end !

But on the Now box itself - have set it to 720P rather than 16:9 and now new iPlayer fits OK 

and other apps also still seem OK 

Wheres the humble pie ?

Anonymous User
Not applicable
Same problem here. How do you set the NowTV box to 720p? I can't find that option anywhere in the Settings menus.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

I found It under 

Settings

then

Display Type

Anonymous User
Not applicable
That is strange. The only options available for me are "4:3" and "16:9" aspect ratios. Nowhere to change the resolution to 720p.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User wrote:
That is strange. The only options available for me are "4:3" and "16:9" aspect ratios. Nowhere to change the resolution to 720p.

You need the HDMI auto detect to work to enable 720p mode in the NowTV box..

You wont be able to use 720p mode on a SDTV, so with out the correct HDMI handshake it thinks the TV is SD only

16/9 mode is for SD mode only... if you enable it you lose HD out put and only get 480p   

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks, now fixed my IPlayer which had appeared zoomed for a week or two. Changed Iplayer app settings to HD and then that enabled the Now TV display settings to be changed to 720. Oh, and then TV advanced display settings back to auto as I'd fiddled with those whilst trying to solve this mystery. 

Can now see all headings and categories without having to try guess them. Daughter is going to be very happy. (aspergers) It has driven her (and therefore me) crazy.

Anonymous User
Not applicable
Worked fine before BBC iplayer update. An option to roll back would be a short term solution
Anonymous User
Not applicable

I was having the same problem with my Now TV box connected to a standard non-widesreen non-HD TV using the AV cable: the BBC iPlayer app suddenly started cutting off on all sides.

The solution I found? It's a pretty crappy makeshift one I'm afraid but until BBC release an update it's the only way of doing it. Plug your Now TV box with an HDMI cable into any TV/monitor that does have an HDMI port, then the 720p mode appears in Settings > Display Type. Select this, then in the BBC iPlayer app choose High Definition in Settings > Video Quality. Now you can connect your Now TV box back into your original standard definition TV and the display type will stay on 720p (even though it's now playing through a non-HD TV), and BBC iPlayer and other apps will now appear correctly on your TV screen. If you reset/update the software on your Now TV box, you may have to repeat this procedure if it reverts your display type.

Hope this helps some people.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Workaround for the aspect ratio issue worked great wman2. Thanks

However I too seem to be having crash issues.

Anonymous User
Not applicable
That's exactly how it appears on my CRT - I've found that there some hidden service options that allow me to tweak the horizontal and vertical scaling on my set (there's no specific overscan settings), but as I make the screen smaller to try and fit the iPlayer app, the signal simply stops, ie the picture stops but the text on the app is still cut off. - So no matter what I do on the NowTV box or my TV, it's simply impossible to get the app to display correctly. Bit disappointed that this is a "contact the BBC" brush off - the NowTV system is a walled garden with Sky having full control over what apps appear, I think that it would be in their interest to make sure that any apps that they approve at least work on all devices that their hardware supports. But I'll contact the BBC just in case! 🙂 Thanks for help everyone, Cheers, Ben.