cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

NowTV output too large for CRT?

Since the iPlayer app updated, most of it's menu options are displayed off the top, or off to the left of my CRTs screen, making it almost impossible to use.

Are there any settings I can tweak to reduce the picture size of the NowTV output, or am I out of luck? TV works fine with DVD player and Freeview stb, and I've tried all of the TV's aspect ratios.

Cheers, Ben

28 REPLIES 28
Anonymous User
Not applicable

I too am having the same problem however with the NOW TV app!, BBC and iplayer!  Suddenly the aspect ratio appears incorrect and the design is not fitting within my HD screen.  YES, I have tried to adjust the settings in hopes that it would fix itself to fit the TV again. We have used Now TV  for almost 6 months and it worked perfectly fine prior, then one day we turned it on and the display is cut off at the bottom, where you are left guessing what to choose.  Please help as it is within the Now TV display despite the fact that it is blamed on other apps.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I don't use it anymore as it keeps crashing and have to press home

Anonymous User
Not applicable

totally stupid that you have to connect it to hdmi to alter the output for av! and why is there no option apart from "zoom" on SD? and having changed it I still can't see the edge of the screen properly on itv player or all4 even tho iPlayer works better, I'm looking at atest / mmerdale and ost popular / he only way is essex on itv player right now!

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous User

Can you tell me the TV make and model please?

Birgit

NOW TV Team

Anonymous User
Not applicable

This is definitely an issue. I have recently installed a NOW TV box on a late 1990s/early 2000s Sony 32in CRT television and all apps display slightly too big (even with output set to 720p). There is not too much missing to make it unusable, but it certainly does not fit the screen, regardless of settings on the television. When the NOW TV box is set to 16:9 analogue output, it is completely unusable, with much of the output appearing off-screen - so there is definitely a problem that needs to be addressed.

Karl-F
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Anonymous User, 

Thanks for getting in touch with us here at NOW TV. 

Can you please let us know if you experience this issue on any other TV?

Are you able to take a screenshot, so we can have a look? 

Thanks, 

Karl

NOW TV Team

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Wahey!  Smiley Tongue I finally resolved it, on my setup, by setting the resolution to 720 in NOW TV's screen menu, as well as turning overscan off on the TV's own settings - the overscan caused a similar but lesser problem when outputting my computer's content to the TV, with that never fitting properly, either. Both problems have caused me months of grief! My understanding is that NOW TV only broadcasts in 720, anyway, so I assume it doesn't have a detrimental effect (given that it'll apply to everything else apart from BBC's iPlayer). I also tried the BBC's beta version of iPlayer (the option's available within the iPlayer's settings), hoping it would have resolved what's clearly a problem for many of us, but it didn't make a jot of difference.

SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User wrote:

Wahey!  Smiley Tongue I finally resolved it, on my setup, by setting the resolution to 720 in NOW TV's screen menu, as well as turning overscan off on the TV's own settings - the overscan caused a similar but lesser problem when outputting my computer's content to the TV...

Eh???

You have a CRT television that allows you to 'disable' over-scan. What make and model of TV is this?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I have just installed my new Now TV box (for first time ever) and I had exactly the same issue with not fitting on my TV screen until I discovered how to change it.

I had to go to my TV Settings using my TV remote to change the Picture Size settings (on my Toshiba TV it was on the Quick menu button on the remote).  I had it on Cinema setting which is fine for general TV use, but I had to change it to Wide setting to enable the Now TV screen and menu to show fully.  It now works fine and I can see all menus and apps.  I hope this helps all the others having the same issue.