cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Issue watching NOW TV - high levels of buffering for 4 days now

I've had my box since May 2015 and have been extremely lucky to have not had any problems at all. I was an Entertainment customer first and loved it so much I signed up for Movies.  My comments have always been 10/10, would most certainly recommend, it's changed my life etc.  Not any more.  I'm extremely frustrated.

I came back from holiday on the 25th August, and since then I've not been able to watch a single thing through my box.  It takes forever to load, and once I'm finally in there's an average of 4 seconds of programme to 30-60 seconds of buffering.  I'm acutely aware that I'm soon to lose Ray Donovan, a series I've been watching, upt to Series 3 episode 3. and planning to binge watch from my return as it goes in a matter of days.  I struggles through episode 3 thinking this was just one of those things, and everygthing would return to normal soon.  It didn't.

Here's the thing: I'm paying for a service having paid the initial purchasing of the box, and I am expected to trouble shoot the issue myself!  No helpline, no technical assistance at the end of a phone.  So I scoured the forums and am shocked at the high level of customers complaining about this very issue.  If this issue has been so commonplace for years, why is it still happening?!!!  Reluctantly and resentfully I've tried the following to no avail:

Backed out of the programme and reloaded

Backed out of the application and reloaded

Backed out of it altogether and reloaded

Checked the wires at the back of the box

Unplugged, waited 10 seconds and replugged

Checked my smart blu ray player - I can watch Demand 5 and Netflix absolutely no problem.  And have never had any problem at all with loading and buffering. Coming out so much in advance of NOW TV at the moment!!!!

Found the Platform Secret Screen and enabled network pings

After this I gave up, because I had to sign in again, and the sign in box just hung there, then went split screen between the keyboard and My TV.  I pressed home after a while of waiting for it to do something, went to find Ray Donfovan again and lo and behold it solved nothing!  Very slow loading. Tried Episode 4, it hung there for ages, got the programme eventually and within 4 seconds started buffering again.

As much as I have loved NOW TV this is seriously affecting my viewing pleasure and the fact that I have to come here and write to you should not be part of the solution.  Who knows when and how it will be resolved?  By which time Ray will have come and gone.  And by the way, what has happened to My TV?!  It used to be that It held where I was up to with all my viewing.  I could click on the series and it would take me to the season and episodes I had just watched.  All I had to do was click on the next episode.  Now it just holds the last epidode I have watched.  What good is that?  I have to search for the series I'm watching, click through the seasons, and then click through all the episodes to find the last one I watched.  All very frustrating and time consuming - why has this changed?

Please let me know a solution so that I can watch my NOW TV box, today would be great.  Otherwise I'm going to have to seriously rethink how much money you are taking from me for an extremely poor service.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

Phew, lets hope (fingers crossed) that you have a more enjoyable viewing experience from now on without buffering.

With regards to what troubleshooting counter measures to take in the future if you encounter problems, then it really depends on what the issue is (your best option is to report the problem on the forum and hopefully the helpful community members on here will give you some advice and point you in the right direction).

However, the basic steps that can fix some related issues are to switch off (reboot) your nowtv box for 30 seconds.

If that doesn't work then switch off your Router and nowtv box, then after about 30 secs switch on your Router let it go through it's start up procedure (say 5 minutes) then once the Router is fully up & running then switch back on your nowtv box.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hello there Schnapps

I had to give myself a bit of a break, this troubleshooting is taking over my life!

I've followed your instructions and it did find an update so I updated this and must confess got a bit excited thinking that this might be the cause of all the problems but it was not to be Smiley Sad

I've just tried to watch a programme on it's still buffering - I've arranged to meet up with my housemate at 1.30 so that we can reboot the router together, at least we'll both know how to do it.  By the way, she's not experiencing any general problems at all with her internet connection, (she doesn't have NOW TV) and neither had I until the 25th.

Anyway let's hope that'll do it and I'll report back later...

Anonymous User
Not applicable

And the good news is that I've just watched the first part of Ray Donovan season 4 without any problems at all!  Long may it last Smiley Very Happy

In future if this happens again what shall I try first?

Thank you so much Andy and Schnapps for your help and patience with me! Smiley Happy

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

Phew, lets hope (fingers crossed) that you have a more enjoyable viewing experience from now on without buffering.

With regards to what troubleshooting counter measures to take in the future if you encounter problems, then it really depends on what the issue is (your best option is to report the problem on the forum and hopefully the helpful community members on here will give you some advice and point you in the right direction).

However, the basic steps that can fix some related issues are to switch off (reboot) your nowtv box for 30 seconds.

If that doesn't work then switch off your Router and nowtv box, then after about 30 secs switch on your Router let it go through it's start up procedure (say 5 minutes) then once the Router is fully up & running then switch back on your nowtv box.