cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Data usage of NowTV box

Does anyone have any information on how much data is used by the NOWTV box when its in standby mode?

My parents have recently got one for christmas and its gone through 8gb of their allowance in 4 days , and they havent been watching programs on it .

Does the box update its content even in standby mode?

17 REPLIES 17
Anonymous User
Not applicable

I have the problem that my NOW TV box downloads HUGE amounts of data.   Over 20 days the download was over 800Gig !  and Upload was 50Gig.   The help desk told me to unplug, reset blah blah.

In two days it has downloaded 50Gig already.   All we use it for is watching Sky news on a lunchtime in out works kitchen.

The help desk tells me there isnt a stand-by mode - so just UNPLUG it when not in use - REALLY?   What a terrible response.   Unless something can be done this box is going in the bin !!

A VERY UNHAPPY BUNNY

commanda6
Legend 5
Legend 5

@4268 wrote:
@Anonymous User legally you can't use it in a work's kitchen. It's not a private residence. You will fall foul of licencing laws at a minimum.

Indeed, if the sky News app is used you are watching a liveTV channel using an Internet connection for which you need a licence. commercial/business premises needs a separate licence to a private residence. You would be fine to use it as long as you have the required license. 

I think the sky News live stream is 720p HD, so I'm not surprised it is using a lot of data, especially if it is left running all day

I do not work for Now . I am simply a Now customer trying to help I am a Community Contributor This means that I know a lot about the service. But just like you I am still a customer. This means I cannot help you with issues that would involve looking into your account directly. A member of the now TV forum team or live chat will need to assist you with these issues.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

This has been a very interesting thread.  I watch streaming (via internet) content on Now TV for an average of 2 - 3 hours per day.  My monthly data usage for streaming comes to around 120 GB per month.  The data usage recorded overnight is negligible, so I am satisfied that the Now TV box is not downloading any significant amount of data (for example updates, etc) when I am not actually watching TV.

I do always take care to switch the box to the Home screen before switching off the television set, so preventing streaming from continuing when I am not watching.  I never switch off the power to the box.

Fortunately my broadband account allows unlimited usage!  There is no fibre broadband available in my area, so I have ADSL2+ with a fairly constant and reliable downstream speed of 11.5 mbps.  There is no throttling at any time.  I find this is perfectly adequate to stream TV programmes to two boxes simultaneously with no buffering.

Wlat

Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User legally you can't use it in a work's kitchen. It's not a private residence. You will fall foul of licencing laws at a minimum.
Please take a moment to click thanks or marked as solution if this answered your question. I am a community contributor and pop on when I can.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thank you so much for you advice and information.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

The one thing to remember is when you finish watching something on nowTV if it's half way through or live TV etc. Just simple press the "Home" button and it will stop all streaming and apps 😉
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi I need 10gb but can't find it anywhere and how much would it be please
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User do you mean you want a mobile package with 10gb data allowance. If so you could consider Vodafone http://shop.vodafone.co.uk/mShop/extras/extrasAndAccessories.jsp?dlAction=addPlan&planSkuId=sku109887&linkedSim=086532&simonly=true

Please take a moment to click thanks or marked as solution if this answered your question. I am a community contributor and pop on when I can.