cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Audio cutting out a lot on some material

Generally sound works fine, but with some material it's just horrible, cutting out several times per second.
The stuff that's causing the trouble right now is "True Detective" on Entertainment.
Is anyone else seeing this issue?

The Now TV box goes straight into a Sony TV with HDMI.

Racing Le Mans, for example, works fine. There must be some difference in the source video, and how it's handled by the Now TV box.
50 REPLIES 50
herojan
Expert

When I started watching Murder In The First (On Demand, Now Tv box) the sound dipped out a few times during the opening credits music and I was expecting the rest of the episode to be effected but it was OK.

I'm only really mentioning this hoping that the info might help you in tracking down whatever is causing the issue.  I've noticed that for most episodes with sound issues there is usually drop-outs in the opening credits if there is music. 

• Roku Streaming Stick+ | S/W 8.1.0 | Now TV app v3.12.132 | Wifi (DHCP)
• Internet - Plusnet Fibre @ 36M

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @herojan

Thanks for your post.

Have you tried playing Murding in the first on another device just to see if the same issue occurs?

Thanks

Ruth

NOW TV Team

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous User

It seems this happens on all devices apart from Apple and mobile devices. http://community.nowtv.com/t5/NOW-TV-Box/Audio-cutting-out-a-lot-on-some-material/m-p/313288#M26205

Anonymous User
Not applicable
This is really dragging on...
I mainly payed for the entertainment stuff to watch Wayward, so would appreciate if it could be fixed.
I can't believe this issue is not seen commonly, on the other hand I find it hard to believe people accept the issues without complaining...
I have also noted that the audio for Wayward is pretty weird in general, with dialogue that is normally centered having weird echo-like sounds occasionally coming from the periphery (I listen using headphones). It seems unlikely the original audio would be this strange. It's as if any louder sound gets mangled by the encoder so it gets a replication way away from the original spacial location. The replica sound is simultaneous to the original, but louder and with high frequency content removed. And it only seems to happen to louder sounds.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

I have to also say that the sound on Ep10 of Wayward Pines was absolutely atrocious, making the episode almost unwatchable.

This also seems to be a frustratingly inconsistent problem. Wayward Pines has this issue on all episodes as does Hannibal S3. True Detective only has it on some (episode 5 seemed problem free) and I only noticed it occasionally on the 2 episodes of Agent Carter that I watched.

Also, for what it's worth, the picture quality seems much worse on programmes that are on the FOX channel. A lot of compression artifacts and banding in backgrounds and dark scenes whereas programmes from other channels are much higher quality. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Modern family season six episode 3 is terrible
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous User

Thanks for getting in touch, apologies for the audio on this episode, we're still working on this episode and hope to have it resolved as quickly as we can.

Cheers

Ranj

NOW TV Team

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Having same issue on mount pleasent season2 ep 2/3/4 so far.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I have also noticed this on many of the on demand programmes too, in fact I cancelled my movies pass because of it as I was also getting the same issue on some of the movies which really spoilt them.

I don't have problems when watch things live with sound.. But the picture quality of the live streams has got quite bad. UK gold is terrible (which I know its old programmes) but it has regular 'jumps' like somebody has quickly pressed pause, skipped 3 seconds then pressed play to continue. And as been mentioned further up, fox is bad on some days, I see ghosts as if I was watching via old fashioned analogue tv and this is when watching upto date hd content!

I have noticed that these issues are much worse during what would be busy periods. Are nowtv reducing quality to save on costs and save server load?

The funny thing is I never had any issues with service until the new app was released, that's when the sound issue started. The picture quality issue started just after the release of the new nowtv box.

Since I mentioned the new app, why is it constantly popping up saying "sorry to interupt but we need to restart to continue working". Several times a day, always in the middle of a programme when you don't have the remote close by. Another reason I cancelled my movie pass.. So annoying when that happens twice in one movie.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Havin... Soun... ... lems wi... M...ern fa...ly too.