cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

USB/SD DISABLED NOT A HAPPY BUNNY

Heard about the new box on several internet sites and mentioning new USB features, went to Now TV yesterday and they have spec listing as follows so thought I'd upgrade my white box

USB media formats:
Video: MP4 (H.264), MKV (H.264)
Audio: AAC, MP3
Image: JPG, PNG
Remote:
Infra Red
Compatible with various universal remotes
Ports:
HDMI (cable included), Ethernet, microSD card slot, USB

NOWHERE does it say that that this hardware is disabled unless you scroll through the help section which given the simplicity of set-up owning one already I saw no reason to do:

Micro SD & USB

You’re currently unable to connect the NOW TV Box to a Micro SD card, or other expandable media storage devices.

It might be subsidised pricewise expected that given it's closed channel list compared to a standard Roku but the lack of openess regarding this is pretty poor!

177 REPLIES 177
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Has anybody successfully watched a film on the new now tv box using a usb if so how did you do it

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User if you enable the developer mode you can sideload this Roku example script (zip file) which whilst appearing basic can play video via USB.

For more info on enabling dev mode and sideloading have a search for Plex and NOW TV.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User thank you so if I have a usb with a tv series I'm watching on it I'll be able to watch it right?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User it will depend on the file format. I believe the support formats are MP4, MOV or MKV (none 5.1 audio). AVI won't work without being convert first.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User cheers I just needed someone to confirm it 

SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

I can confirm that it's possible to play the following media formats via USB: -

MPEG-4 AVC video with 5.1Ch Dolby Digital audio placed within the mp4 container

MPEG-4 AVC video with 2.0Ch AAC audio placed within the .mp4 container

MPEG-4 AVC video with 5.1Ch Dolby Digital audio placed within the .mkv container

MPEG-4 AVC video with 2.0Ch AAC audio placed within the .mkv container

MPEG-4 AVC video with 5.1Ch Dolby Digital audio and SRT (UTF-8) subtitles placed within the .mkv container

MPEG-4 AVC video with 2.0Ch AAC audio and SRT (UTF-8) subtitles placed within the .mkv container

Cheers

Anonymous User
Not applicable
Very helpful comment!
ukbobboy
Legend

Dear Forum Members

Just quick a thought, Now TV are currently beta testing new facilities on the Black Now TV box, which is likely to include activating both USB and micro SD ports.

My point is, if users side-load their own activation driver/app this  might cause future problems, e.g. causing the machine to fail when inevitably processing official updates.

UK Bob

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@ukbobboy it's not a driver, the box already supports the USB port it's just missing any app to read from it. Using the usbplayer.zip will make zero difference if NOW TV decide to add their own app or the Roku Media Player.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks Artesea, I have a ferw quick questions myself

1) Have you got the link to the lastest zip file?

2) Is there space on the box to install it, or do I need an SD card?

3) Do I need to unzip the contents first or will the box recognise the file?

4) What is the maximum size harddrive or USB stick I can plug in?

5) Does the external storage need to be converted to FAT32 or NTFS?

Many thanks in advance