cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Now TV black box (Roku) error code 003 - Software update failed

Hi there,

I recently bought myself a Now TV box for me whilst I'm at university. I have read everywhere and tested all of the solutions made for different errors. I have found the secret screen and have updated software from beta version to release version and then pressed update software, but it still fails. Because I'm in student halls I cannot neccissarily turn off the router by the mains so I wonder if this is the reason why this still does not work. I have resetted the device on numerous occasions and still nothing has worked. I went on the nowtv website on my computer, logged in and watched a programme so my computer is now set up to watch now tv, but why not my tv? I also do not have an ariel or satelite so could this be another reason why my tv is not working? Please help

5 REPLIES 5
Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

Welcome to the forum.

Are you in halls of residence? If so and your halls have the kind of Internet connection where once you've connected to wifi you need to open up a web browser and authenticate on that before you get access, then unfortunately that type of connection isn't compatible with the NOW TV box - it will look as if it is connected but it isn't actually authenticated to use the service.

If that's the case then you have a few options.

1. Contact the technical support team for the service, they may be able to authorise the box die toy using its MAC address, which can be found on the sticker on the bottom of the box.

2. You'll need to get a device somethi like the HooToo TripMate Router (from eg Amazon) that will connect to the wifi and then create its own wifi network your box can connect to)

3. Create a virtual wifi network on your laptop (you may need additional software to do this) which allows your laptop to act as a wifi hotspot for your box to connect to

4. Get a Roku streaming stick or Roku box as these have the ability to connect to such networks.

However you've also mentioned you could update the software on the box which suggests it is connected to the Internet - do any of the apps work at all? Do you only need to enter a wifi name and password to connect to your halls, with no need to open a webpage?

You don't need an aerial to watch NOW TV, but you do to watch Freeview (once you are connected to the Internet you can use the BBC, ITV, 4 and 5 apps as alternatives).

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thank you so much for the feedback. I do unfortunately need to log into my WiFi via a webpage. I managed to update the software by changing the server by pressing the Home button 5 times, the fast forward button 3 times and the rewind button twice. I have my computer set up to now TV as a device so I'm pretty sure it's connected to the internet but the box doesn't. How does the Hootoo tripmate router work exactly and does that mean the solution would be resolved completely? If not I guess I should just refund it

Dhughes101 (I made an account shortly after this post)
Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

The Hootoo basically is a device that is able to connect to wifi networks that need webpage authentication. It then creates a new wifi network of its own that doesn't require webpage authentication, which things like your NOW TV box can connect to, and passes the Internet connection along from one to the other. You can see a video of how it works here (it's an old video for a Roku box and features one of the other Hootoo models but gives you the idea)

http://www.omerkhan.com/how-to-connect-roku-to-hotel-wifi/

To be honest I don't have one and I don't know anyone on the forum who does. It's designed more for occasional stays in hotels and doesn't come with a power supply so needs connecting to USB (although a micro-USB phone charger might work). In theory it will work but I can't tell you in practice how successful it is, you can read up on Amazon reviews though

https://www.amazon.co.uk/HooToo®-TripMate-Wireless-Storage-Sharing/dp/B00I00J8DW/

Just me personally, I'd rather get a Roku streaming stick or box which costs more but does give you Netflix and Amazon apps as well and will connect to a wifi network that needs webpage authentication (although if you read reviews on the web not everyone finds the Hotel and Dorm feature particularly reliable either - you take your chance and see what happens).

Alternately you might just be happy to carry on watching on your computer, tablet or mobile devices instead.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Recently bought the whole package - smart now tv, now tv broadband, line rental - to be opened and installed 30 nov. So i have waited - and now it doesn't work.

I have patiently gone through all - unplugged, replugged, factory reset, all - and still software update fail.

Annoyingly i am having to use my previous broadband supplier to send this email - as fortunately that is disconnected in 3 weeks.

So please help would be good

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User

Hi, 

Sorry to know about your experience with us. 😞

Have you tried contacting us ? If not please all us ASAP on 03300 412 462 and we willl look into your broadband issue.

Cheers!