cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Morning,

I think something missing!!!

Like other provider such as Netflix, they offer movies with subtitle at a lower price! 

Now TV should be able to offer that service for must of their movies and, this should normally help deaf people watching films...

Thanks,

Guy

491 Comments
Anonymous User
Not applicable

You're going to have to ignore what I said above unfortunately, I decided to go on 'Live Chat' again and ask if they can confirm what they told me on their Facebook page, they couldn't confirm. So it looks like the staff that run the Facebook page just said that to fob me off. Really starting to annoy me know this, I just cannot fathom out why they lie about such a thing. If you look on their FB page though you should be able to see my comment (and future comments - I'm not giving up that easy) hope I don't get banned though 😄

Let's all comment on their FB and Twitter page daily, sometimes persistence pays off.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User: Can you post a link to the relevant Facebook and Twitter pages?

I couldn't immediately see any public comments on their Facebook page.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hope this is allowed, apologies if not. And I wasn't able to make my own comment, I had to invade one of NowTV's posts to be able to comment.

https://www.facebook.com/nowtv/videos/vb.230343220395979/846727412090887/?type=2&theater&notif_t=vid...

I can't directly link you to any Twitter ones, but search my username on Twitter and you'll see my justified moans to them 🙂

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I shall try & post something each day too! I just commented on something irrelevant  on their Facebook page too but hopefully others will see & comment too! It's ridiculous that they can't reply on this forum! 😡😡😡

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous User,

So sorry for the confusion here, but the "we're working on putting it back up" comment was in reply to somebody asking about episodes of Ray Donovan. For some reason, that person then deleted their comments, which meant that the message you saw could appear to be a reply to you.

If you think about it, "we're working on putting it back up" doesn't make sense as a response to your subtitles question, but I can understand why you might think it was, particularly as you're so keen to get them.

The team who work on Facebook and Twitter are the exact same team who run this forum, so you'll get the same response across all of those areas. There aren't any plans at present for us to add subtitles, but we do know there's lots of interest in them being introduced, and it could happen in the future.

Sorry again for any confusion caused,

Tom

P.S. Also mentioning @Anonymous User and @Anonymous User so they get an email alert with this information.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User One question though Tom, even though this thread is 3 years old and there is obviously a demand for it, how come it's only 'it could happen in the future' ? surely in this day and age subtitles should be added, like mentioned by others there's subs on all the other major streaming sites, so why not NowTV ?

The vague answers people get isn't good enough and hard of hearing/deaf people need this. I won't give up, but I know you'll just ignore and continue raking in the £££'s regardless, big companies never listen to Joe public.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User we have given more detailed explanations in the past, and the response tends to be that explanation isn't good enough and we should just introduce them anyway, so we don't tend to respond very often in this topic or the one on the main board.

I know subtitles are available on other services, but that doesn't mean it's simple for us to introduce them on NOW TV. If it was, we'd of course have introduced them before now.

Thanks,

Tom

Anonymous User
Not applicable
Now tv sort it out! If you don't plan on adding subtitles then you need to make people aware before signing up that you do not support subtitles, so other deaf and hard of hearing people don't fall into the same trap as we did!
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Fair point @Anonymous User but it's still not fair for the people that have hearing problems. I feel like I'm actually wasting my time here, the decision has already been made not to introduce subs so it doesn't matter what anyone says.

There must be some kind of software that can provide basic subs surely, but that means spending money, is that the real reason @Anonymous User ?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User it's not that simple. Subtitles on DVDs are over-laid and use time-stamping to ensure they sit in the right place against the length of the film, and a similar approach is used for pre-recorded TV shows. With live shows, they're written on-the-fly as it happens.

There isn't currently a way for us to overlay subtitles in this manner, meaning that the only way we could do it is by hard-coding the subtitles into each movie or show. We can't do this however, as we use a variable bitrate stream to ensure maximum quality. If the quality reduces due to to a slowdown in internet speed, the subtitles would become blurry along with the picture and be unreadable. 

I'm sure it'll be possible at some point at the future, but for the moment, we're just being up front in saying they're not available.

Thanks,

Tom