cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DarylM
Legend 5
Legend 5

Now TV in 2016

I wonder what 2016 will hold for Now TV?  Might there be subtitles before the year is out?  Apps for Amazon Fire TV and Smart TVs other than LG?  The Entertainment Pass on Youview?

Now TV will be tight-lipped about these things.  But what changes do you predict will probably happen by the end of the year?

If this has solved your issue please mark this as an accepted solution.

Those little green stars by my name mean that I'm a Community Contributor - not Now TV staff. I just try to help out if I can.

33 REPLIES 33
Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

They really need to try and get subtitles sorted. Anything else is bells and whistles but subtitles would make a real and lasting difference for many people.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Yes, I totally agree.  Subtitles would make a huge difference to a lot of people who are hard of hearing and it is easily available from other providers.

BicBasher
Elite

I wonder if we'll see another price rise with the addition of new channels to the Entertainment Pass as the incentive to keep our custom?

Also predict at least 720p on most platforms except PC/Mac on the Ent/Movies live streams.  Sky Sports is already 720p.

Networking Spec - ISP: TalkTalk VDSL2 @ 76mbps | Amazon Fire TV Cube 2nd Gen, Chromecast 3rd Gen WiFi, Motorola Moto G9 (Android 11), Dell PC with Windows 10 Home Edition using Now TV Player.
commanda6
Legend 5
Legend 5

@BicBasher wrote:

I wonder if we'll see another price rise with the addition of new channels to the Entertainment Pass as the incentive to keep our custom?

Also predict at least 720p on most platforms except PC/Mac on the Ent/Movies live streams.  Sky Sports is already 720p.

@BicBasher If the entertainment and movies, live streams were to go to 720p I would expect that the Windows app would support 720p live streams, but playback through a web browser would still be limited to SD. 

Unless now TV brings out HTML5 browser playback solution of course and ditches Silverlight we can but hope. Pretty please nowTV

I do not work for Now . I am simply a Now customer trying to help I am a Community Contributor This means that I know a lot about the service. But just like you I am still a customer. This means I cannot help you with issues that would involve looking into your account directly. A member of the now TV forum team or live chat will need to assist you with these issues.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

commanda6 wrote: snip

Unless now TV brings out HTML5 browser playback solution of course and ditches Silverlight we can but hope. Pretty please nowTV

2017 Will see HTML5 web solutions... as IE and Safari will be the only Silverlight supporting updating browsers left...

I see 32 bit firefox being made legacy and discontinued. The Free H264 Codec web browser extension from cisco for web browsers will be the norm then and add compliance to all browsers on windows 7 and MacOS...

Android 7.0 hybrid laptop/desktops will also be in the Homes then...

Android Google play store will be bodged in to Chomebooks to keep life in a dieing OS... As full laptop modes arrives in Android 7.0 (Mouse support is still very bad in android 6.0.)

Forcing the Media apps to Stop blocking HDMI out on Android 7.0... 

SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

Subtitles would be great.

And the ability to 'push/pull' content from a NOW TV smart box over your home network (via UPnP) to a Smart TV would be cool 😉

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Nothing will change except a new box.
ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User

Well, that's a very pessimistic outlook and if what you say is right, which I don't believe for a minute, what would be the point in Sky/Now TV investing in development and marketing of a new more powerful box if things were just going to stay the same?

I believe Now TV have plans for the new box which I'm sure most of us will like because they are not planning on committing financial suicide.

UK Bob