cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NOW TV to launch most advanced box yet

NOW TV to launch most advanced box yet

"Online TV streaming service, NOW TV, is to launch its most advanced TV box later this year. The brand new NOW TV Smart Box will bring together NOW TV’s wide range of pay TV content and over 60 live free-to-air channels.

Additionally customers with a NOW TV Box will see new a brand new interface (UI) roll out to their TVs from February. The new-look UI will include a number of great new features including a content-rich homepage offering editorial recommendations of what to watch across catch up TV apps and pay TV content from NOW TV. A new ‘Best of Catch Up’ section, curated by content partners, will also arrive showcasing all the best shows our customers may have missed in one place.

Gidon Katz, Director of NOW TV said: “The launch of our new homepage on the NOW TV Box will make it easier than ever for our customers to quickly find and watch their favourite shows. And when the new NOW TV Smart Box arrives later this year, it will be the perfect one-stop box to get a contract-free, flexible way of watching the best of pay TV and free-to-air content all in one place.”

NOW TV worked with Silicon Valley based Roku Inc. to develop the new NOW TV Smart Box which will sit alongside the existing NOW TV Box, with pricing details and further information to be made available later in the year."

340 REPLIES 340
SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

@lenturn wrote:

Can anyone tell me if it's 50Hz capable, or are we stuck watching Freeview at 60Hz?

Hi @lenturn,

You're in luck. The new 'smart box' does indeed pump out a 50Hz video signal Smiley Very Happy

commanda6
Legend 5
Legend 5

@lenturn wrote:

Can anyone tell me if it's 50Hz capable, or are we stuck watching Freeview at 60Hz?

Hi @lenturn

Just in case you didn't know 50 Hz video output is a mandatory requirement for kit which receives Freeview channels. So if the box didn't support 50 Hz video output, then NowTV would be breaking Freeview's rules. Smiley Wink

I do not work for Now . I am simply a Now customer trying to help I am a Community Contributor This means that I know a lot about the service. But just like you I am still a customer. This means I cannot help you with issues that would involve looking into your account directly. A member of the now TV forum team or live chat will need to assist you with these issues.
lenturn
Scholar 2

Well that's good to know at least! Smiley Happy 

So does the box use 50Hz all the time, even when accessing the Now TV app?

Mark_Weinreb
Legend 5
Legend 5

@lenturn The box outputs at 50Hz all the time.

lenturn
Scholar 2

Good to hear. Smiley Happy

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Yet again the opportunity to produce a device outputting IPTV to Freeview HD standards is missed. This is yet another fail from NOW TV. 

Can someone from the official team expalin why this has been neglected yet again? 720p in 2016 isn't good enough especially for ball sports on large screen HD and 4K receivers.  

Sad. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User because this isn't a "Freeview HD" box

lenturn
Scholar 2

I've read that the usb port is capable of video playback on the new box.  Does anyone know the app that is used for it?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Is it possible to move this thread into the NOW Combo forum?  Everyone knows now.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@lenturn wrote:

I've read that the usb port is capable of video playback on the new box.  Does anyone know the app that is used for it?

I don't suppose it could be used to increase the pause/rewind buffer size?  I stuck an old 20GB walkman in my Samsung Freevie HD TV recently to do this and it works a treat.

Seems not.  Interesting review here...

http://www.whathifi.com/now-tv/smart-box/review